• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to connect Samsung Infuse to PC

psus2020

Lurker
Jun 20, 2013
Hello Android Gurus,

First time and first post on this forum. Sorry for the long mail.

I am having trouble connecting my Samsung Infuse (I997) to computer via USB (came with the phone). It used to work fine several months ago. I dont know what happened but the computer doesn't recognize the phone. The moment I connect the USB, I see a few options on my phone screen. The one I tried the most is Mass Storage (none of the options work anyways). I know the USB cable is working because the phone is charging. I tried everything I know of and did suggested by others including the following suggestion by Eric (justanswer.com about a year ago).

Download a free program called USBDeview from Cnet
Run it, and remove/uninstall ALL Drivers listed that have the words "Samsung Android" or "Android" in first two columns.
Reboot the PC
Download Kies Mini from my box account and then install it
Reboot the PC
Run the Kies Mini program
Plug the phone into the PC and it should be working now

I followed these steps as suggested but no luck. The other day, I went to the AT&T store. The technician tried with different cables but none seem to work. Finally, he suggested resetting the device to factory defaults. I lost everything on my phone in the process but it didnt help either. He suggested updating the software. Since the cable connection is not working the the guy tried to update the software by wireless (using data plan). After several min, it found the software to download and started downloading but it stopped after 25% or so. this entire process took over 2 hours. The guy gave up at lost. He thinks there is nothing wrong with the phone. I bought it new and is about two years old (handled it with care so the device still looks as new).

In summary, the computer doesn't recognize my Samsung Infuse. I tried with different cables, tried on different computers. Any help would greately appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Harry

Yes, I did look at the pc to make sure. I've already tried by setting to mass storage in phone settings, also tried with at least three different cables (of course, the at&t guy also tried with different cables). The cable that I currently use is designed for both recharging and data read.

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
I just want to update everyone that I now kinda know why my pc doesn't recognize my Samsung Infuse. Y'day, I brought my friends Samsung Infuse (we both bought about the sametime) and plugged into the same laptop using the same USB cord, which I tried with my phone. woola...pc recognized immediately (in a couple of sec) and Kies started up automatically. There we go.. I upgraded the phone to Gingerbread - Firmware version 2.3.6 in less than 10 minutes.

So, this tells me that there is nothing wrong with my USB cord or the laptop. BTW, when I called up Sumsung customer service y'day (after two levels of escalation - the expert concluded that the problem is with my laptop). Anyhow, the issue (which I think) with my Infuse is that the additional charger, which I bought (for use at work) from eBay F*** up my phone (a $300 phone 2 yr contract with at&t ended last month).

I got tempted seeing this amazing deal on eBay. Not wasting a single min and bought a wall charger, car charger, usb charger, screen protective sheets and cleaning cloth all-in-one package for $20+, shipped from Hongkong. I didnt realize it lately but ever since I started using this cord (in the car and at work) I was NOT able to connect to the laptop. I think, I basically fried my phone internal parts.

Lesson number one, never buy a F***N Chienese product ever. I won't.

Upvote 0
As general rule, I would be skeptical of hardware problem until you rule out everything else. Is there more evidence you haven't told us about that leads you to conclude hardware problem?

Please verify settings:
Applications/development/ USB debugging off

I have left that on before and it acts the way you describe.

Also, Can you get into "download mode" ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones