• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to display usb connectin type menu

I am no longer able to bring up the 4 choice usb-type menu that pops up when the usb cable is connected between the phone and my pc. Now after about a second delay the battery icon changes to the charging icon and the red LED lights up.

I have Disk Drive set as default with the "Ask Me" box checked (regarding USB connection type). The cable I have been using before and now is the one marked DICMUSB that came with the phone and plugs into the htc usb converter for drawing power from the wall. My pc also does not recognize the phones internal storage or pop up an error message.

I have not had this issue before, as I have been able to move mp3's from disk to phone-sdcard as well as change the boot animation. I thought maybe an app was causing the issue, but after uninstalling everything back to when I last hooked up the phone to my pc the problem still exists.

Any ideas?
Thanks for the help.

Try unchecking and rechecking the "Ask Me" option, and re-doing the default setting.

The cable itself shouldn't matter. I've used the stock one and a USB cable I had laying around. Both worked. As for it not recognizing the internal, it should if your computer can recognize the SD card. If you're using Windows, have you tried looking for the partition manually under My Computer? It may not auto run, but should still be there. They're both separate partitions and when you open it, you'll see Android-related files/folders.

Upvote 0
Hmm, Disk Management in Windows didn't list the partitions either. Unchecking and rechecking the two setting didn't help either. Plugged the phone and cable into another laptop and got the same results.

I'm on vacation now so the cable test will have to wait. Really hoping a hard reset isn't the final solution here...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones