• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unable to install update

urorobos

Lurker
Mar 17, 2015
Hi!
The phone is rooted HTC one M8 with TWRP. I have recently received 4.16.401.10 android lollipop 5.0 update notification. After pressing 'ok' phone reboots into TWRP environment. There I choose 'Install' option and navigate to an update zip file. Here is the log file:

Updating partition details…
Full SeLinux support is present.
Processing AOSP recovery commands…
Unable to locate zip file ‘CxGzCw@wEwEuA|A’ .
E: Error installing zip file ‘CxGzCw@wEwEuA|A’.
Done processing script file.
Installing ‘/sdcard/Download/OTA_M8_UL_L50_SENSE60_MR_HTC_Europe_4.16.401.10-3.28.401.9_R_release_4170047fkn8dusot1cw62h.zip’…
Checking for MD5 file…
Skipping MD5 file check: no MD5 file found.
Verifying zip signature…
E: Zip signature verification failed: 1
Error flashing zip ‘/sdcard/Download/ OTA_M8_UL_L50_SENSE60_MR_HTC_Europe_4.16.401.10-3.28.401.9_R_release_4170047fkn8dusot1cw62h.zip’…
Failed.
Would be very thankful for any suggestions.

You can't install stock updates with a custom recovery.

Your options:

1) If you have a copy of the stock recovery you could fastboot flash that back in place of TWRP. Then you could install the update. Do note though that the update is a patch that's designed to be applied to stock software, and by rooting you have modified the ROM. If you are lucky all that will happen is that you'll be unrooted, but sometimes there are other problems.

2) You could return the phone to its stock, unrooted state (if you can find a suitable RUU), then you can download and apply the update.

3) Don't bother with the update, just use TWRP to install a custom ROM. You'll be able to find one based on the latest update, either close to stock or with extras.

I don't have an M8, but you'll get the best advice from those who do, so I'll move this thread to the HTC One M8 All Things Root forum.

Reactions: KOLIO and Granite1
Upvote 0
Thanks Hadron! :)

We're almost there. When you update to Lollipop, you also need the firmware bits from the update to properly run the new roms.

Again there are 2 ways to achieve this, follow the s-on route of locking the boot loader, flashing everything back to 100% stock and taking the OTA, or running the RUU.exe.

OR... Go the S-off route and flash the firmware manually, and flash a lollipop Rom from recovery.

If you're wondering what I'm referring to when I say S-on or S-off, your phone is most likely S-on.

Keeping that in mind, it's way easier to update everything on an HTC phone with S-off which means essentially you've turned the boot loader security check flags off. Achieving this is in theory possible from kitkat and now lollipop, but the program for achieving S-off from lollipop is still not quite 100% so you run the risk of the app failing and you don't get S-off. From kitkat it's a much higher percent of success.

In the end it's ultimately up to you. Keep in mind with S-off you have 100% access to all partitions, and you can do things to render the phone useless if you're careless. If this isn't you, you can still keep S-on, update via RUU or OTA unlock the boot loader again afterwards, then simply 're-root the phone. If you like the idea of complete control let us know and we'll get you rolling with S-off.

And Hadron was 100% about trying to update with your current configuration, it's not possible and it can Bork things pretty bad if it goes south.

Let us know what route you want to take and we'll get you there. :)

Reactions: Hadron and KOLIO
Upvote 0

We're almost there. When you update to Lollipop, you also need the firmware bits from the update to properly run the new roms.

Again there are 2 ways to achieve this, follow the s-on route of locking the boot loader, flashing everything back to 100% stock and taking the OTA, or running the RUU.exe.

OR... Go the S-off route and flash the firmware manually, and flash a lollipop Rom from recovery.

If you're wondering what I'm referring to when I say S-on or S-off, your phone is most likely S-on.

Keeping that in mind, it's way easier to update everything on an HTC phone with S-off which means essentially you've turned the boot loader security check flags off. Achieving this is in theory possible from kitkat and now lollipop, but the program for achieving S-off from lollipop is still not quite 100% so you run the risk of the app failing and you don't get S-off. From kitkat it's a much higher percent of success.

In the end it's ultimately up to you. Keep in mind with S-off you have 100% access to all partitions, and you can do things to render the phone useless if you're careless. If this isn't you, you can still keep S-on, update via RUU or OTA unlock the boot loader again afterwards, then simply 're-root the phone. If you like the idea of complete control let us know and we'll get you rolling with S-off.

And Hadron was 100% about trying to update with your current configuration, it's not possible and it can Bork things pretty bad if it goes south.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much guys. Yes, I am wandering what the hell is this guy saying :) . Looks like I have some studying to do. I am a complete noob with the phones. I have only rooted my phone because all these apps that came with the phone were driving me bonkers. So wanted to get rid of them. But I have no idea what I am really doing. Just being careful and going bit by bit. I am gonna find out what all these things that you mentioned mean. The phone has definitely S-on as the host files are being rewritten with every reboot. Wanted to forbid access to some web pages like Facebook( to annoy my missis) and I hate it as well. Thank you again and will probably ask a question or two soon.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

Hey. I went quite for some time but can't say I was studying. Just busy with something else. Sorry. Would you be still available for taking me through the process of turning s-off? First, I see the guys are talking about different things like kitkat or sunshine or coin in to s-off the phone. I do not know what they are and pretty much do not care which one it is going to be. I would just choose one that is the most reliable and is gonna work.
I thank you kindly for your reply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones