• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unable to install USB drivers

reinbeau

Klaatu barada nikto
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
I am unable to install the USB drivers for Windows XP - I have downloaded the correct zip file, but the drivers are marked as being detrimental to Windows XP somehow and they just won't install. Can I copy them out of the zip file and manually put them somewhere? I'm inching ever so slowly towards rooting and am trying to get my ducks in line - but they're not cooperating. Help? :eek:

When I first got my captivate I had tremendous problems with the drivers. The ones I got from the Samsung website were bunk. I read on this forum that a lot of people who had win.7 64 had problems with.the.Samsung drivers for it. Someone linked to a post at xda.where someone posted the drivers and they worked. I'm on my Capt. Right now so I'm too lazy to switch around and try to find it for ya... sorry ;).

Another thing to do is try downloading kies mini. I hear that of comes with a driver set and a lot of people had success with getting working drivers that way. Give it a try.

Wynn you root. I recommend the oclf method. Its the easiest and its.easy to undo. I would also recommend against actually deleting the bloat and rather freeze it with tibu and hide them in the app drawer.with launcherPro.

Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: reinbeau
Upvote 0
Thank you, Infinite-T, but you're a big tease about XDA ;) I'll poke around over there and see what I can find. I have rooted using the OCLF method, it worked great, and yes, I did do the freeze with TB.

As for kies mini I'll look for it :)

In case you you havent found the drivers yet, here ya go.
http://androidforums.com/captivate-.../123644-captivate-usb-drivers-links-here.html Just make sure you have fully uninstalled any of the old drivers you may have already installed.

Im glad to hear you got things woring and got root hooked up. I would actually advise against the actual lag fix itself though. Most lag fixes are more trouble then they are worth and not really necissary. I found that using launcherpro and turning up the speed settings on it a few notches got rid of the UI lag and freezing the bloatware should open up more ram and ruduce app lag a little.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones