• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to turn off automatic switch to data

Michavz05

Lurker
Sep 4, 2022
I recently got my Motorola g200 but i think one of the later android versions came with a feature that automatically switches my internet to use mobile data whenever my wifi connection doesn't provide internet. I would really like to turn this off. Does anyone know how to?

I'm on Android 12 and am on the latest Motorola update available for me.

Try settings/Internet/your carrier name, there should be a settings cog for it. Click that, you should be able to toggle data on and off. It may be slightly different on your phone but it's there somewhere.

Screenshot_20220904-095155~2.png

View attachment 163799

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Try settings/Internet/your carrier name, there should be a settings cog for it. Click that, you should be able to toggle data on and off. It may be slightly different on your phone but it's there somewhere.

View attachment 163799

View attachment 163798
I can turn on and off my data, but is there somewhere an option to turn off the automatic switching from wifi to data because the wifi has a bad connection? My wifi sometimes goes out and goes to "internet not available" and then just goes back to connected, my phone immediately goes to data and stays on data for a pretty long time i noticed until is goes back to wifi again

Upvote 0
So that's the functionality you want but are finding it to not work consistently? You want the switching back and forth on though?
Android 12 and data switching is messed up, it's not smooth like it used to be. It's apparently a bit better on 13 but not great. The pixel 6 is using a new chip, Tensor, and it has major connectivity/signal issues (for some users, not all). Google has made numerous software fixes but it's still an issue. Those fixes actually made stuff worse and you (and I) are probably stuck with them on 12, if you are getting 13 you may be in luck. My wifi does not always reconnect when it should now so I have to switch back manually.
All you can do right now is verify your WiFi settings and data settings and keep an eye on it.
All of that is subject to debate but I find it to be more fact than fiction...

Upvote 0
So that's the functionality you want but are finding it to not work consistently? You want the switching back and forth on though?
Android 12 and data switching is messed up, it's not smooth like it used to be. It's apparently a bit better on 13 but not great. The pixel 6 is using a new chip, Tensor, and it has major connectivity/signal issues (for some users, not all). Google has made numerous software fixes but it's still an issue. Those fixes actually made stuff worse and you (and I) are probably stuck with them on 12, if you are getting 13 you may be in luck. My wifi does not always reconnect when it should now so I have to switch back manually.
All you can do right now is verify your WiFi settings and data settings and keep an eye on it.
All of that is subject to debate but I find it to be more fact than fiction...

Thanks for explaining, i didn't have this feature on Android 10 but it's here now and it annoys me a lot. Currently i just up my data limit with 100MB every time (i have 6GB in total) so i don't accidentally waste it all whenever this happens. I wish i could just disable it tho like Samsung phones can.

Upvote 0
Yeah, there may be a setting somewhere that works but I haven't found it. You could maybe do it through tasker or ifttt?
iOS has an option to not switch if the signal is weak but I've not found such a thing in Android and don't even recall which way that works - WiFi to data or data to WiFi handoff.

Upvote 0
You keep insisting you only have a very limited number of connectivity options in your Settings menu but Motorola uses a relatively clean version of Android for its default ROMs. There's a minimum of added Moto branding but the base Android install is clearly stock. Try opening up your Settings menu and in the top search bar type in
wi-fi
In the resulting listing, there should be several items. A typical issue with options and settings for different services in our Settings menu will be they're often buried deep in menus within menus or only shown in a contextual menu or in an icon in the upper or lower menubar. If you enable Developer Options, that adds more WiFi and cellular management options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones