• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unbrick the LG Ally (Updated 3-2-2011)

Has anyone actually figured out the problem here???? It seems a lot of people have this connection issue with our Ally. "Hehe still fun to say it that way".

I cannot take it to Verizon because it's just a WiFi phone. It's stuck in download mode and will not flash. Then it's said to use the other method which states not to do in Download Mode. Is that only because it might wipe your MEID?

So I try that and it will not recognize the phone anyway. The drivers where already installed and updated. The computer recognizes and installs the phone fine even while in Download Mode.

Upvote 0
PLEASE....PLEASE....PLEASE....READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING. I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR MISHAPS! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

WHEN IT SAYS YOU NEED SOMETHING, YOU NEED IT. IT IS NOT OPTIONAL!

YOU NEED THE LG MOBILE UPDATER AND THE DRIVERS FOR THIS PHONE. DO NOT TRY TO USE THE PDANET DRIVERS OR EVEN HAVE PDA NET OPEN.

THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT BOOT INTO ANDROID OS. WHETHER YOU ONLY GET TO THE FASTBOOT SCREEN, OR CANT ACCESS CUSTOM RECOVERY, OR THOSE WHO CANT ACCESS RECOVERY AND BOOTLOOP.

ANY OF THOSE PROBLEMS PERTAIN TO YOU? NO? BUT WANT TO GET BACK TO STOCK, BECAUSE YOU FORGOT TO BACK UP YOUR ROM? PLEASE SEE MY THREAD HERE: http://androidforums.com/death2all110/166588-how-flash-stock-lg-rom.html

Still with me? Great! Now, read these directions carefully before even starting to do this. Yeah, I know, bummer right? You actually HAVE TO READ...

Anyway this thread will be a bit longer than the flash stock ROM thread....Hated the long directions, didn't like reading? Eh. Shame. Too bad.

Step 1: Unplug the phone if you have it plugged in, Pull the battery, reinsert it.

Step 2: Slide out the keyboard and press and hold the number 5. Then as you are holding down the number 5 plug in your USB cable.

Step 3: If you haven't done so already download VS740.zip
and save to the root of your C:\ drive.

Step 4: Open the zip file, and drag the folder to the root of your C:\ drive

Step 5: Open this folder that you have just downloaded.

Step 6: Rename the cab file to VS740ZV6_01.cab (If you do not see the .cab extension DO NOT add it. Also You may not have to rename it if you downloaded it as the same name.)

Step 7: Extract the zip file's contents to this folder and connect USB cable to phone.

Step 8: Run KP500-Utils-En.exe in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 and as an Administrator.
(Only if you are not running windows xp)

Step 9: Choose option J.

Step 10: Type VS740 when it prompts for phone model number. Press Enter.

Step 11: Type VS740ZV6_01.cab when asked for the cab file. Press Enter.
(You do not have to tell it what directory the cab file is in)

Step 12: Type VS740ZV6_01 when prompted for the version. Press Enter.

Step 13: It should now tell you it is loading lg manual updater screen will appear with a log window below
and start reading information from your phone and then it will flash it.
If the firewall says its trying to access the web allow it.

It will flash the software to your phone and takes around 20 minutes to complete.
Once complete it will boot up and show the word A N D R O I D. on the screen.

It looked like it hung at that screen but it didn't it just took a while. Around 10 minutes.

Once this is complete you may unplug your phone from USB. BUT MAKE SURE IT SAYS IT IS FINISHED COMPLETELY NOT JUST AT 100%

After you finish flashing, and have verified it boots.... you will notice alot of things are broken. Now to fix that...

Step 14: Power off and press and hold Vol Down+Home+End and when it loads back up, and you have signed into google, open the dialer and dial *22899 to verify your phone is back on the Verizon Network.

Step 15: Now open the dialer and dial *#*#CHECKIN#*#* This forces the phone into checking for any available OTA Updates.

Congratulations! If successful you now have just recovered the phone from a bricked state.

After all the issues people had with the phone disconnecting and becoming useless durring the flash process it should've been an updated warning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones