• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Understanding Facebook/HTC Sense in regards to Contacts

hi, i just bought my evo 3d, but one thing i noticed is that for whatever reason, it didn't come with the standard facebook app that it's supposed to come with. i already made an htc sense account and synced the phone to my facebook account, but i have no idea how to actually get onto facebook. please help, i'm actually getting really frustrated here..

Just go to the marketplace and download the facebook app, and you are good to go.

Upvote 0
discovered a new issue maybe someone can help

The names and numbers are showing up but no pics...go into my accounts and sync and the facebook for HTC sense won't sync anymore..been doing it since saturday :thinking:

Moved your post to the merged threads on this subject - please look at the above info, see if any of it is helpful.

Upvote 0
Well the whole FB thing bugged me since the EVO. I wanted to sync just my people in my address book (people) to FB and see there info and pictures not all my friends on FB. I know I can uncheck FB for HTC sense under people but when I go to phone icon at the bottom of phone I know you see everyone of your friends and when I go to email someone named Steve and swipe Steve all these other Steves that are my facebook friends show up. So on my EVO I quit synching any FB contacts. I would sync FB for sense and uncheck contacts. But now I like seeing peoples FB info in my peoples list and I don't have to manually add a picture there FB picture shows up so I sync my HTC sense now.

I think I tried syncing the FB app but undid it I am not sure the difference. I don't understand the FB app and it's syncing and what the difference is. I know it has an option to sync data only about friends already in contacts but does it still sync every one of your FB friends to your phone but only update data of friends and not everyone? I just want my people in my address book synced and I am guessing that still isn't possible right? You have to see all your friends when you click on phone or when you email? I just don't like that if I have nothing synced and try to link one of my friends in my address book to FB nothing comes up no name to choose from. So you have to sync your contacts and I guess get them all or none. Oh well I decided to deal with it and sync them for now. I like seeing my friendfs info in my people list and i just have FB for HTC Sense unchecked. And I have a people shortcut too on my desktop cause I hate hitting the phone Icon at the bottom and seeing everyone.

Upvote 0
Forgive me for all the support questions, but Im desperate to get my 3d running properly.

I go to home screen --> Menu --> Accounts and Sync --> Facebook for HTC Sense --> Sync Now

...and then nothing happens. Please tell me Im doing something wrong and my phone isnt broken already.

Also, I was synced briefly via "facebook for Android" but uninstalled it as the application just plain didnt work and I didnt need all the notifications.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
I use Handcent for texting and there is option to uncheck facebook so that's good for me. It's just when I am emailing I see all these peoples emails that are my FB friends and I don't need or want to see them. And I hate when you click phone at the bottom you see them all. But I don't know if the regular messaging app has n option to uncheck facebook like Handcent or not.

What really irritates me is that if I try to send a text.. And type the contacts name.. It show the same name and number like 4 times in the drop menu.. Really pisses me off.. So.. I type jon.. An the options for jon are my brother.. I shows his name 4 times and the number 4 times.. Under him is 4 of my buddy jonnie.

Reactions: dgrobe2112
Upvote 0
Moved your post here - odd that our posting tool didn't guide you here when you created your thread - I'll check with admin to get that fixed.

Meanwhile, please review this thread to see if it already answers your questions.

Sorry bout that, EarlyMon. I think most people here are having trouble with their configurations where Im having some sort of software error.

I cant even do it manually. All the options are there...it just doesnt happen. I got to a contact and click the broken chain link, hit sync via htc sense, find the contact and hit their name. It then returns back to the contact page unsynced (sp?).

Upvote 0
I use Handcent for texting and there is option to uncheck facebook so that's good for me. It's just when I am emailing I see all these peoples emails that are my FB friends and I don't need or want to see them. And I hate when you click phone at the bottom you see them all. But I don't know if the regular messaging app has n option to uncheck facebook like Handcent or not.

Thanks alot.. i unchecked the box for that.. and it cut them in half.. now it only shows 2.. lol..

Upvote 0
i figured it out.. but cant figure it out.. lol..

all my contacts have 2 entries under them.

Example
Jon Grobe
Google contact
phone number..
Phone contact
phone number..

both numbers are the same.. but i never created the phone contact. if i delete the phone contact in the edit contact function.. it fixes the issue of having 2 listings..

any way i can do that easily over 150+ contacts?

Upvote 0
Sorry bout that, EarlyMon. I think most people here are having trouble with their configurations where Im having some sort of software error.

I cant even do it manually. All the options are there...it just doesnt happen. I got to a contact and click the broken chain link, hit sync via htc sense, find the contact and hit their name. It then returns back to the contact page unsynced (sp?).

If you read some of my above posts it should help you in the linking issues. The problem stems from the way they decided to achieve referential integrity of the contact database. You need more than just a name, and a 10 digit number. You can manually link the contacts by putting a '+1' in the front of the 10 digit number, and then link the contacts like you were before.

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem, maybe the same as others but I can't tell for sure. When the store set up my phone, they copied all the names and numbers from my old phone's contact list. But now I have all those names, plus everyone from my FB account. I only want the people that were in my original contacts list on my old phone to show up in my contacts list on this phone. Is there just a simple step I'm missing?

Upvote 0
Yeah it's screwy if you synch FB it shows all your contacts. You can go under people and menu and view and uncheck FB then you will just see your regular contacts but there all still there. I have mine to now show up in people or Handcent. But when I email a guy named Steve that I always email from Gmail it shows me several Steve's that I am friends with on FB with there info. So I speak now and say email to and say my Steve's whole name that I want to email too makes it easier. I don't want to accidentaly send an email to the wrong Steve LOL!

I'm having a similar problem, maybe the same as others but I can't tell for sure. When the store set up my phone, they copied all the names and numbers from my old phone's contact list. But now I have all those names, plus everyone from my FB account. I only want the people that were in my original contacts list on my old phone to show up in my contacts list on this phone. Is there just a simple step I'm missing?

Upvote 0

Try adding a "+1" in front of the area code of your transferred contacts and then manually linking them to the appropriate facebook contact. That is what I did, and it's worked like a charm.

Upvote 0
So I went into people and then menu, under view I selected view contacts - only with phone numbers. I now only see people that I have phone numbers for, ie the people in my original list on my old phone. Similar to what someone else said before, I'm know all the weird double entries are still there, but visually when I look at my contacts all I see are people that were originally in my old phone book, and that's good enough for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones