1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Unlocked Captivate reset

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bimfi, Jan 24, 2014.

1. bimfi

bimfi Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2011
    Well, after having this phone for over three years, I decided to retire my Samsung Captivate. It has been a fairly trustworthy phone, but has recently shown signs of age. Here is my question: what should I do to the phone before I decide to give it to someone? It is unlocked and rooted. Should I do a factory reset? I no longer have a working SIM card in it because... I switched over to an iPhone (gasp!). I realize it's an old phone, but it may be useful to someone, especially if it is unlocked. All I really want to do is remove any references to my personal data/info but still allow it to be rooted. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    A factory reset would put it back to the condition it was in when it came out of the box. You might wnt to back all your apps first, then install the backup/restore program and allow the new user to install what s/he wants.

Or check with your local police department. Some of them supply 911-only phones (phones with no SIM cards) to women at risk. You might want to be part of that.