• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlocked Captivate reset

bimfi

Lurker
Jan 13, 2011
Well, after having this phone for over three years, I decided to retire my Samsung Captivate. It has been a fairly trustworthy phone, but has recently shown signs of age. Here is my question: what should I do to the phone before I decide to give it to someone? It is unlocked and rooted. Should I do a factory reset? I no longer have a working SIM card in it because... I switched over to an iPhone (gasp!). I realize it's an old phone, but it may be useful to someone, especially if it is unlocked. All I really want to do is remove any references to my personal data/info but still allow it to be rooted. Any suggestions?

A factory reset would put it back to the condition it was in when it came out of the box. You might wnt to back all your apps first, then install the backup/restore program and allow the new user to install what s/he wants.

Or check with your local police department. Some of them supply 911-only phones (phones with no SIM cards) to women at risk. You might want to be part of that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones