• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help unlocked

DWFII

Jul 6, 2016
ᴡᴡᴡ.dwfii.sexy17.ru
I read something that suggested that a phone could be unlocked at the factory or by a owner.

Maybe I got it wrong.

But if the phone is unlocked by the owner...let's say he has an AT&T phone and takes the Sim out (is that the way it would be done?) and then sells it on to someone who wants to use another GMS network such as T-Mobile or Boost Mobile or Cricket, is there going to be a conflict with app updates? Stuff that AT&T installed as part of a proprietary version of Android, for instance?

How often are "unlocked" phones actually "factory unlocked?"

Apologies if this is a stupid or odd question...but it bears on buying a used phone.

Sorry no sim unlock codes are free,you can go to a unlock code from a sim unlock code website,if the phone was sim unlocked by the previous owner it will remain so despite which sim card you insert and mostly any phones (exept from iphone from which i was only told)can be sim unlocked by the service provider and have no conflicts with the devices original program.
Though I should advise you a lot of services now use a mied/sim sync on they're devices and the only way to use another device on their sim is to go to the store of your phone service and pay a fifteen doller fee to sync your sim to your new mobile device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I understand that a sim card kit (?) is needed and available from Cricket for $9.95. I think their webstite said something to the effect that and GSM phone could have the Sim taken out and the Cricket Sim put in.

Did I misunderstand?

But the real question is how ill that effect OEM software put on by AT&T, for instance? Hit or miss you say. OK does that mean Android doesn't get updated? Does it mean the the OEM stop working? Or will they just carry on without failure but not update?

If I got an AT&T phone and migrated to Cricket...since Cricket uses the AT&T network and AT&T owns Cricket...what would be the difference? In terms of software? Any?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones