• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking bootloader in u.s. samsung devices

Unlocking the bootloader will immediately void any warranty; and rooted phones will not run any financial apps (payment or banking). I began modding and ROMming Android phones in 2009 with the original Motorola Droid... and only gave it up when all the reasons to do so were part of the OS. Now, I can't imagine a reason that improves operations and doesn't degrade it. My 2c
My lingering reason(s) to root has only intensified in the years since Android Gingerbread.

System-wide adblocking, to not waste data and battery on loading digital herpes. I don't care how much the makers are getting paid; I don't care if they are willing to pay ME directly. The problem is the ads are often vectors for malware and compromise a system or phone faster than literal viruses nowadays.

Clean/Sanitized ROMs to run on the phone. Even as far back as the Galaxy S3, optimized community roms often got me far better battery life than any factory rom. Having Lineage on my LG v20 allowed me to miss all of the LG IMS soft-bricking mess that was going on with T-Mobile for a while there. And with my present phone, even though I explicitly bought it as retail unlocked to avoid any carrier nonsense, it still forces me to do system updates just like a carrier locked phone.

More recently, because of Google using DMCA against YouTube Vanced, there was then the project of ReVanced where they got around that by just making the end user build the patched apk. Well, the android app that would do that for the programs it supports will not let me install a built apk unless it's a rooted phone! So that just hosed any plans of keeping my phone at least away from ads as much as possible.

Upvote 0
My lingering reason(s) to root has only intensified in the years since Android Gingerbread.

System-wide adblocking, to not waste data and battery on loading digital herpes. I don't care how much the makers are getting paid; I don't care if they are willing to pay ME directly. The problem is the ads are often vectors for malware and compromise a system or phone faster than literal viruses nowadays.

Clean/Sanitized ROMs to run on the phone. Even as far back as the Galaxy S3, optimized community roms often got me far better battery life than any factory rom. Having Lineage on my LG v20 allowed me to miss all of the LG IMS soft-bricking mess that was going on with T-Mobile for a while there. And with my present phone, even though I explicitly bought it as retail unlocked to avoid any carrier nonsense, it still forces me to do system updates just like a carrier locked phone.

More recently, because of Google using DMCA against YouTube Vanced, there was then the project of ReVanced where they got around that by just making the end user build the patched apk. Well, the android app that would do that for the programs it supports will not let me install a built apk unless it's a rooted phone! So that just hosed any plans of keeping my phone at least away from ads as much as possible.
well do not get a samsung device with a snapdragon processor. they do have a locked bootloader in which most will be unable to unlock and root.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep - I totally missed that whole bit! Sorta makes my reply irrelevant, huh? I'd delete it but I'm man enough to fess up when I mess up...
This is actually absolutely totally false too just so ya know. The people at Walmart who sell the phones, don't actually work for Walmart. They work for a company called OSL and they're strictly sales. Anything they do beyond setting your phone up at point of sale is out of kindness (I know because I ran two locations for them). MetroPCS and Tmobile alike have an unlock setting built into the system settings of their phones and if it doesn't work (it rarely does), the same exact page exists within the carrier app. You don't have to call anyone or go anywhere. Here's a list of carriers and their unlocking policies (USA ONLY) TMO&AT&T-If financed, device must be paid off first AND have been active on said network for a minimum of 60 days (at&t) and 40 days (tmo) AND account must be in good standing with no past due balance. US CELLULAR- If device was bought before 11/01/2022, it will be automatically unlocked after 120 days, regardless if paid in full, on installments, or a subsidy contract (Walmart). If device was bought after that date, it remains locked until paid off on installments, the entirety of your subsidy contract and 120 days if paid in full. VZW- All phones are unlocked automatically after 60 days of consecutive active service. Metro-365 days. At&t prepaid-45 days. USC Prepaid-30 days on NEW prepaid service. Vzw prepaid-45 days. *At&t is the only carrier that's prepaid devices are compatible with their postpaid service immediately. All others require the same waiting period as a normal unlock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
By the way I found out through metro that if you want to unlock your phone to any carrier and you for example ,bought it at Walmart for metro pcs ,you actually have to go back to Walmart and they unlock it there.
Not true at all. I sell the metroPCS phones at Walmart, it follows the same unlock policy as all other MetroPCS stores and you would have to call Metro to unlock it if it does not qualify for unlock for any reason.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones