• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unroot for GB OTA?

Pavilion

Jul 8, 2010
Using the Z4root (v1.3.0), I rooted my phone a few months back so that I could use the Wireless Tether, Titanium Backup, and Screenshot apps. But, I didn't remove any bloatware.

Do I need to unroot it before the GB OTA? If so, do I just press the "Un-root" button in Z4root? Also, what is the difference between "Re-root" and "Un-root" in Z4root??

Thanks. I am trying to not brick my phone...

Re root is in case your root doesn't take. unroot is just that. It unroots your phone. There shouldn't be a need to unroot as long as you didn't uninstall any apps. You will of course lose root if you take the ota.

If you want root then download one of the prerooted ota's and flash that.

Upvote 0
So, I don't have to unroot before the GB OTA. It will just upgrade to GB, lose root access, and yet wouldn't brick my phone. Right?

Let's say I did that. What happened to those 3 apps? Without the Superuser privilege, it will just sit there and do nothing?

Also, I can root it again after GB OTA, right? I wouldn't mind wait for something like Z4 is out again for GB (Given the size of the community, it shouldn't be too long. :p ).

One extra question: if that doesn't brick the phone, what will??

Thanks, folk.

Upvote 0
So, I don't have to unroot before the GB OTA. It will just upgrade to GB, lose root access, and yet wouldn't brick my phone. Right?

Let's say I did that. What happened to those 3 apps? Without the Superuser privilege, it will just sit there and do nothing?

Also, I can root it again after GB OTA, right? I wouldn't mind wait for something like Z4 is out again for GB (Given the size of the community, it shouldn't be too long. :p ).

One extra question: if that doesn't brick the phone, what will??

Thanks, folk.

No you don't have to unroot to accept the OTA. Yes to what you said after that.

Those three apps would be there but wouldn't work.

Cannot currently root the OTA. Will probably be that way for quite a while.

Having done the maderstock.zip SBF update.zip. Or having restored a nandroid. (bricking after nandroid is more rare but has happened to some)

Reactions: Pavilion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones