1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root unroot with the 3.29.651.5 update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gamblor01, Oct 4, 2010.

1. gamblor01

gamblor01 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    Austin, TX
    Hi all,

I rooted my phone not too long ago but just don't see any point to keeping it really. I can do everything I want without root except deleting the annoying Sprint bloatware (Nascar, Qik, Sprint Zone, etc.) but even after deleting those apps I don't really feel that my battery life or phone experience has vastly improved.

In fact, having my phone rooted just means that I have more work to do really...like installing updates such as 3.29.651.5. Quite frankly I would rather just get the OTA updates instead of going through the pain of installing everything manually. Not to mention that I don't really trust the crap people post on the internet anyway. How do I know that someone's custom ROM isn't stealing personal info from my phone while I use it?

I'm thinking that I might just do the following:

1. Run Unrevoked Forever S-ON to lock NAND again
    2. Reinstall all of the Sprint bloatware via adb (mount /system as rw, copy everything over to /system/app, and chmod it all to 644)
    3. Apply the 3.29.651.5 OTA update

Has anyone else tried this to get back to an unrooted phone? I know I could do S-ON and then apply the PCIMG136.zip file or whatever, but that will blast all of my settings, apps, etc. I would prefer to retain everything and not have to reinstall/reconfigure my phone again if I can.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

2. gamblor01

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    Austin, TX
    Oh well...I just unrooted the normal way and reinstalled everything

3. metalmenance

metalmenance Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Sams Club
    Knoxville, Tn
    Regular way? I am too interested in maybe doing this to kinda start from scratch
    any links or how to steps you took?
    thanks in advance

4. gamblor01

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    Austin, TX
Tags: