• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unroot with the 3.29.651.5 update?

gamblor01

Jun 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi all,

I rooted my phone not too long ago but just don't see any point to keeping it really. I can do everything I want without root except deleting the annoying Sprint bloatware (Nascar, Qik, Sprint Zone, etc.) but even after deleting those apps I don't really feel that my battery life or phone experience has vastly improved.

In fact, having my phone rooted just means that I have more work to do really...like installing updates such as 3.29.651.5. Quite frankly I would rather just get the OTA updates instead of going through the pain of installing everything manually. Not to mention that I don't really trust the crap people post on the internet anyway. How do I know that someone's custom ROM isn't stealing personal info from my phone while I use it?

I'm thinking that I might just do the following:

1. Run Unrevoked Forever S-ON to lock NAND again
2. Reinstall all of the Sprint bloatware via adb (mount /system as rw, copy everything over to /system/app, and chmod it all to 644)
3. Apply the 3.29.651.5 OTA update

Has anyone else tried this to get back to an unrooted phone? I know I could do S-ON and then apply the PCIMG136.zip file or whatever, but that will blast all of my settings, apps, etc. I would prefer to retain everything and not have to reinstall/reconfigure my phone again if I can.

Any thoughts?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones