• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unusual problem: my name and IMEI are being sent to my contacts

rob.adob

Lurker
Jan 10, 2010
First off:
Model Number: Galaxy (Samsung). Firmware Version: 1.5. Baseband Version: I7500XXII4.
Kernel Version: 2.6.27 hudson@andy #1. Build Number: 76XXCSDCBALUM6375.
Country of purchase and use: UK. Carrier: O2, contract.

Hi everyone. I'm having a strange problem with my Galaxy: 2 of my contacts have received texts from a phone number which I do not recognise, saying:
Please keep this message
IMEI:<myIMEInumber here>
Also, I've noticed that my phone is transmitting quite frequently. I normally leave it next to my PC, so I can hear interference on my speakers when the phone is transmitting; when I open up TasKiller I notice that Messaging is active, even though I closed it via TasKiller. There are no messages visible in Messaging that I did not send myself. I presume that this is related to the texts.

To me, this sounds like an evil application, so I've included a list of the apps I have installed at the bottom of this post.

Can anyone explain what's going on? I've tried Googling the problem and searching this forum, but it's quite generic to search for. Any help would be much appreciated.

All my Apps:
Abduction!, Alarm Clock, Android System, ArtfulBits aiMinesweeper, Barcode Scanner, Bluetooth Device Address, Bonsai Blast, Browser, Calculator, Calendar, Calendar Storage, Camera, Camera Firmware, Checkin Service, com.android.providers.user..., com.samsung.InputEventApp..., com.test.lcdtest, com.test.version, Compass, Contacts, Contacts Storage, CSC, Currency Converter, CurrentDataState, DataCopy, Dialer, Dialer Storage, DRM Protected Content Stor..., Email, Evernote, Facebook, Factory Test, File Count, FileCopy, Frozen Bubble, Google Apps, Google Mail, Google Mail Storage, Google Maps, Google Partner Setup, Google Search, Google Settings Provider, Google Sky Map, Google Talk, Google Talk Service, Home, HTML Viewer, IM, Jewels, Labyrinth Lite, Market, Media Storage, Media Uploader, Meebo IM, Messaging, Music, MusicPlayer, Network Location, Package Installer, Perso, Pkt Auctions eBay, Poke A Mole, reboot, reddit is fun, RilErrorNotifier, RilFactoryApp, Samsung keyboard, serviceModeApp, Settings, Settings Storage, Setup Wizard, ShopSavvy, ShutdownApp, SIM Toolkit, Sound Recorder, Street View, Switchers, Sync Feeds, TasKiller, Terminal Emulator, TestGPS, ThrottleCopter, Translate, TSP firmware, Wallpaper Set & Save, WlanTest, wssyncmlnps, YouTube.

PS: if this is in the wrong place, or would get more attention elsewhere, please tell me!

do you know what you have personally installed
it looks like some kind of app that is sending your contact details out for all users but i dont know why it would come from someone elses number nor have i ever seen this.

its coming from another number so even if you remove the app it may still do it.

if i were you i would wipe it and only install apps you "need" therer are some nasty things out there

Upvote 0
Thanks, Carl. Rastaman-FB, I'll put a little list of the apps I've installed at the bottom of my post. I don't think you'll find anything unusual, apart from my games. Here's a question: if I uninstall an app, is it actually gone?

I suppose I could wipe it like you suggest (I guess this restores it to a 'new' state? I'll have to look into it), but that doesn't really solve the mystery.

Teknik, WOW just as I've got to reply to your bit, I heard interference on my speakers, and Taskiller reports that Messaging is open, whereas a mere 30 seconds ago it wasn't! (I was checking to see if it was opening without the interferance). I read your advice, and this definitely sounds like 3G interference, with very quick beeps, often sounding just like a buzz, which is weird, cos I presume that text messages are sent over the normal 2G network, like phone calls.

Hmm I just checked my Data Synchronization settings, and Background data is enabled, so that could explain the 3G activity, but why would Messaging become active?

Bah, this could send me crazy, so I'll get on with the list of apps I have installed since I got the phone (new from O2 online)

Abduction!, ArtfulBits aiMinesweeper, Barcode Scanner, Bonsai Blast, Compass, Currency Converter, Evernote, Facebook, Frozen Bubble, Google Apps, Google Sky Map, Jewels, Labyrinth Lite, Meebo IM, Pkt Auctions eBay, Poke A Mole, reddit is fun, ShopSavvy, Street View, TasKiller, ThrottleCopter, Wallpaper Set & Save.

Upvote 0
Dont think the IMEI and other thing is related, first i would ring the number that sent that text message, see what happens ;)
See which voice mail you go through to if it doesnt ring, could be interesting if its not o2!
Personally i would ring up o2 and give them all the details and keep at them till they can give you an answer you are happy with.

one thing has just struck me, how would your phone know your full name?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones