• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unwanted applications / Keep contacts / Better battery usage

c_jones64

Lurker
May 16, 2011
Hi, I'm new here, and new to an android phone!

Had my HTC Desire HD Tesco Mobile just under a week and seriously thinking of returning it!

Used Good to access work emails. Have access to Gmail and Yahoo mail.

However, battery lasts around 6 hours (though I hardly use it!), and my 1GB monthly usage is being swallowed up!

Help please!

I've now removed Good. No longer sync with Gmail - though I do with Yahoo somehow. However, I've now lost my contacts!

Battery power still only 6-7 hours.

I think I just want minimum usage I guess so my battery can last a little longer, have access to my contacts, and internet to browse (I'm assuming browsing wont gobble up the 1 GB!)

Is there a guide somewhere that can quickly tell me how to have this type of basic setup? I possibly don't have enough time to read through the whole manual before my limits and patience are reached.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Enable USB Debugging.

See if that improves your battery life. There was a bug in the original firmware on the phone which caused a process called /init to utulise 100% of the CPU meaning battery life was virtually non existent.

Download an app called 3G Watchdog to see what's using your data. Also, use WiFi when you can and download another app called Green Power. This turns your WiFi & 3G off when the screen goes off or your phone is locked.

I think Tesco handsets are unbranded meaning you should be able to download the Android 2.3.3 update. Several folk have confirmed battery life has increased dramatically since installing.

Settings -> About Phone -> System Software Updates -> Check Now

It's 100MB so I'd connect to WiFi before downloading.

Upvote 0

Thank you.

Downloading all three.

I've noticed that there are a few HTC processes, and a couple of others always running in the background. How do I tell if I need them or not? i.e. can some be killed to save battery life?

Settings
3G Watchdog
Green Power Free
CSPeopleSyncService
Sound set
Calendar
Google Services
HTC Sense
HTC Hub Sync Provider
Touch Input

I now have version 2.36.405.8.

My contacts are syncing through Gmail now

Upvote 0
No probs! :)

Just leave Android do it's own power/battery management. Just because you see it running in the background, it doesn't necessarily mean it's eating away at battery. There are some apps which just sit in memory, not taking up any CPU resource and minimal battery.

Syncing etc, I just take off autosync, I check my mails when I need them, the same with Facebook etc so that never really uses too much battery. You could try every 4 hours or so?

Can you see all the contact information within the Gmail account? I think SIM contacts only show 1 number per contact so you're better using the phone or the google account. Open People, then hit Menu, then view, that should give you a list of the numbers which are being displayed on the phone (Google, Facebook etc.)

Upvote 0
Whoop whoop!!!

Battery lasted about 28 hours!!! yipeee

Whatever was wrong with contacts before is now fixed - maybe the software update fixed something - I now see all details for a contact!

Data usage right down too - tells me I will now only use 3% for the month - guess I can now go surfing :)

Thanks for all your help and guidance!

I'll check out the other forum area for more help and tips.

Cheers guys.

CJ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones