• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unwanted pop-up ads

Hi all

Really frustrating this: I've had a Motorola G6 for about a year. Phone is fine, all working well. Suddenly a couple of days ago I started getting full-page pop-up ads; no obvious reason why. I haven't installed anything dodgy - only via Google Play and nothing that suggests ads are a problem. The only recent installation (a metronome app) I've just removed but still getting them.

I'm getting about 6 pop-ups a day - fills the screen and I have to find where to click to shut it down, varies from ad to ad. The material is wide-ranging. The ads pop up at any time and no link to other apps open on the phone. If I use the square button at the bottom to toggle between apps, the ad isn't even displayed. I can't find any note of where it comes from. It's not going to be very effective - I am so cross I am more likely to stop using anything advertised than start using it!

I've done a scan using Malwarebytes. I've disabled anything I can think of in settings. I've rebooted. I've run airpush permanent opt-out.

I can just about cope with it but it's a pain.

What really bugs me is that it shouldn't be happening. I'd like to know what has caused it and ideally stop it but it really puts me off Android that this has happened and I can't see any reason why.

Anyone got any tips on removing this?

Thanks!

W

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones