• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Update broke Car Panel, should I root?

D-U-R-X

turbo drinker
Apr 20, 2011
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
My advice: if you are using Car Mode in connection with 3rd-party programs like Car Dock Home v3, DON'T INSTALL THE 2.3.5 OTA, UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO ROOT YOUR DEVICE AFTERWARDS. I'm reluctant to do this considering the risks involved, so don't know what to do now. :(

Sorry to hear that HTC have been useless to you on this!

I understand that you might be hesitant in rooting, but let me assure you, there is a one click root method that does the whole process for you (roots, installs clockworkmod recovery, simunlocks your phone, etc) - the link to it is here - http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...guide-dhd-all-things-root-roundup-sticky.html

The only thing that you really loose is your manufacturer warrantee.

It might be worth seeking advice from El Presidente, just to ensure that the Hack Kit works on phones that have the update, although I am reasonable sure that it does!

Hope you manage to solve your problems - good luck!! :)

Reactions: st230
Thanks for your encouraging words :)
I've actually studied this root tool in detail and even downloaded the software but haven't dared taking the step to do it. There are a number of questions surrounding this that I haven't been able to find an answer to:

- There is a lot of information related to carriers and sim unlock which doesn't apply to me because this phone was never locked to a carrier, so will this be an issue?

- I will apparently loose data because the software number is 3.12.405.1, but what data will I loose? Can I use a temporary (blank) sdcard as "gold card" to help preserve data?

- I have found no way in "going back", is there? What if the process fails for a reason or another?

- Will all currently installed programs work? I've got around 220 at the moment, some more important to me than others.

Would you mind comment on this? Thanks.

Upvote 0
The carrier sim/lock thing won't be an issue, if your phone was never carrier branded, it will be cool. That step was just added as a precautionary measure.

From what I can see, in order for the AAHK to work in 3.12.405.1, you'll need to run an RUU to downgrade your phone to one of the previous software versions that it does work with. This will wipe your handset clean and downgrade your software version based on the RUU ran. In essence you'll have a DHD just as if it were newly shipped from the factory, no apps, no google account associated with the handset.

Yep, you can go back to stock by running the RUU.

Yeah, all installed programs should work, they're all tied to your gmail account so should be available to you after you link the handset to your google account.

I'd ask how important the GPS is to you at this moment in time? It might be worth holding off for a bit to see if a newer version of the hack kit will be released that's compatible with your software version without the need to run the RUU first.

Reactions: st230 and D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Thanks. GPS is very "important" to me so if there is a risk of GPS problem after rooting I'd prefer not to. But that doesn't solve the issue I have with Car Mode. Maybe a factory reset is the best option at this point in time?

When I said GPS, I was actually referring to Car Mode. To me GPS/Car Mode/Navigation etc is the same thing, sorry if that caused confusion.

Upvote 0
What I mean is, as it stands the Ace Hack Kit looks to wipe everything with your software version, so all the data associated with the apps etc would be lost so there's no opportunity to back stuff up properly before installing a custom ROM.

If you wait, there might be a version of the hack kit which will work without the need for an RUU to downgrade you. If you do that though, you'll be stuck without the car mode app while you wait.

Which do you prefer, keeping the data and waiting a little, or losing the data and potentially sorting the issues you have with car mode?

Edit - There is no guarantee root will sort if it's an issue with the license as opposed to the app itself.

Upvote 0
Decisions, decisions, uuuh do I hate them? :rolleyes:

Thanks, need to give it some thought. Meanwhile I realise that one of my questions are still outstanding, namely this: If I go ahead and root the device, is there a risk that the sdcard will be wiped? If so, can I temporarily replace it with an empty card while rooting and insert the original card once the rooting has been completed?

Upvote 0
Yes... the gold card part of the process is to "trick" the phone in to accepting non-branded firmware... not sure if it'd skip it, but when I rooted (ages ago, not using the hack kit... before it was around), I copied everything off my SD card (in to a file on my desktop) and used it to make the gold card... when complete, I wiped the card and copied everything back!

Reactions: st230
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones