• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update to 2.3.5

...but the UI feels more nippy....

I take that back. I'm encountering UI lag that I've never experienced before. It was horrendous while trying to navigate the Android Market app yesterday with the touch screen becoming completely unresponsive. Two apps were updating in the background but I've had several apps updating in the background before the upgrade and never experienced that kind of slowdown. There also seems to occasionally be slightly longer delays when transitioning from one screen to another. I'm guessing background tasks are responsible.

Also, under Applications > Manage Applications > All: I appear to have two entries for HTC Sense and they have different version numbers. One is 2.6.2119362838.169923. The other is version 2.1.2120412236.191187.

I'm wondering if these may be conflicting with each other and causing the UI problems I'm experiencing.

Upvote 0
How do I go back to old lock screen? I'm not a big fan of the new one. I'm a fan of the old traditional bar that you drag down. How do I re-instate this?

You can't I'm afraid, sorry.

You can get homescreen replacement apps like Widgetlocker which would give the functionality, but with out a 3rd party app, you're stuck with it unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Flashlight has gone? There should be some replacement apps on the market that will do the same thing. See if this is ok? Tesla LED?

Are they completely gone from the HTC Hub? One of the main complaints with the Wildfire S is the lack of internal memory and I suspect some non essential apps were cut to make a little more space. Although I see from a few posts up it didn't for you, sorry.

Reactions: fauxtronic
Upvote 0
Are they completely gone from the HTC Hub? One of the main complaints with the Wildfire S is the lack of internal memory and I suspect some non essential apps were cut to make a little more space. Although I see from a few posts up it didn't for you, sorry.

No non-essential pre-installed apps that I'm aware of have disappeared from the handset, and I had exactly the same internal memory available after the update as I did before. Teeter wasn't pre-installed on the Wildfire S like it was on the original Wildfire, but I would occasionally install it (and the flashlight) from HTC Hub. But both have gone. As have the Live Wallpapers incidentally. Who knows what else they have pulled?

I'm really unimpressed with this update. Apart from the general slowdown and UI stuttering which never happened before, some apps which used to be pre-installed on handsets have now also gone missing from the HTC Hub. I have a sim-free model purchased from Amazon and I'm on the verge of asking them for a refund because it is no longer the handset I bought.

Upvote 0
I have some further questions about firmware updating. As I'm new to Android and smartphones, if I update to 2.3.5 (from 2.3.3), does my data get erased in the process? Is it necessary to do a backup beforehand? Do I need to do anything else before the firmware update? One other question - are firmware updates reversible in the event that something goes wrong?

Thanks in advance.

JPC

• I believe data does get erased. [not sure but probably]
  • Only way to backup is if you're rooted; if you're rooted you won't be able to install OTA updates, but never a bad idea to backup.
See I believe that may be your challenge. Your device sounds suspiciously like the bootloader has been unlocked (s-off)... so I'm working under that assumption. If this doesn't help you specifically, it will help someone.

• Do you need to do anything... hmmm Well if you want an OTA and you know you have to be s-on to get it, you could try to procure the official RUU...exe for your device and flash that via fastboot. I believe that to be the only known way to get back to s-on for wildfire s at present; however, I haven't personally laid eyes on any RUUs for marvelc yet (VM USA, US Cellular, or MetroPCS). They'd come from your phone company's or HTC repair center I believe, but I tried to procure one for VM USA with no luck :(

• Reversable... I think so. Might take a little work and bear in mind if the bootloader is updated, the rooting method might change [or fail even until a new one is discovered] but I think we're safe on that one. See previous point for rollback to factory 2.3.4 (RUU) or if you root, nandroid backup would roll you back to whatever you had nandroided.
Hope that helps.

Rob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones