• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Updated[13.2.12] Discuss all Samsung Galaxy S III rumors/release date/speculation/news

no i was expecting 1.8, not 1.5. why even bother going from 1.4 to 1.5. that doesn't even make sense lol
Why bother? Marketing LOL. I know the 100mhz sounds stupid to those who know better but we are the minority, like 1% of buyers.

I get the feeling I've posted this before but basically I'd say a good 50-70% of phone buyers just pick a phone because they like it's look and it does the job for them, they don't care about specs. As long as Sammy make a nice looking device that works, this group is already handled.

Then you get that 10-30% market who are epeen spec posers who care about the advertised specs but honest to god don't know anything tech related beyond what they read off fan sites or those shoddy pc magazines. In the iphone camp, these would be the people who say "Retina" display but when actually asked what it is, they won't be able to explain it.
This is the next major market group that Sammy want to target. If you're competitor is advertising quad core 1.5ghz and you advertise something lower on paper, despite benchmarks proving otherwise, you will lose that sale. They don't know anything about cmos censors either and they just care about the MP number. Trust me, we all know someone like that in our lives.
Given the choice between quad a9 and dual a15, without a doubt they will pick the quads.

The final group is like 1-5% at buyers at most. They know their tech and buy a phone that suits them and won't hesitate to reccomend another phone for someone else. As long as Sammy don't go and full on mess up the specs, they know we will get their phone, wait for another phone or just go elsewhere.
We are such minority that they couldn't care less about losing a sale to us.

Yes it's unfair but Samsung are a business and they will try to please all groups and quite frankly, because there exists a large crowd who are sold on just advertised specs or sold on marketing drivel, there is a reason for them to "bother" about the numbers.

Upvote 0
I'm disappointed manufacturers don't go the full distance on the camera by delivering a top notch sensor, even Samsung do a bit of a hollywood job of fronting with their phones.

I've had an early 8mpx camera in my LG Renoir (same res) and the modern SII's 8 is easily better, but not that great in the end.
Samsung should really do better than deliver an economy 12mpx unit in the SIII, but I fear they won't.
It'd be cool if they reignited the optics branding fad again, only this time actually use that brand's lens and sensor also. A Leica team up would be fab (If not a bit too hipster)

Upvote 0
Jonny just gave you the reason to go from 1.4 -> 1.5

100mhz matters? seriously?

Why bother? Marketing LOL. I know the 100mhz sounds stupid to those who know better but we are the minority, like 1% of buyers.

I get the feeling I've posted this before but basically I'd say a good 50-70% of phone buyers just pick a phone because they like it's look and it does the job for them, they don't care about specs. As long as Sammy make a nice looking device that works, this group is already handled.

so based on nothing but your assumption, more than half of buyers don't care about specs. but for some reason samsung is going to boost clock speed a minuscule 100mhz because specs are important to a tiny minority of users? i'm confused.

seriously. who's going to look at the s3 and the one x and be like..welp. this phone is 100mhz less. it obviously sucks. give me the one x!

sales people sell phones, not specs. (thanks for indulging me btw, fun to have a friendly convo :))

Upvote 0
no 100Hz doesn't matter, but consider this:

kid: I need a new android phone
shop guy: Sure, we've got this HTC One X and the Samsung S3
kid: okay, so which is faster ?
shop guy: well, they are pretty much the same, but the HTC is 1.5Ghz, the S3 1.4Ghz, but you wouldn't really notice.
kid: 1.4Ghz ? LOL thats so lame, I'll take the HTC.

Go look around the comments on tech sites people are already deeming the phone in the Vietnam video a "fail" and "not any better than the S2". If its seen to level peg (or beat) the HTC they'd all change their tune.

In short its all for marketing and spec whores.

Upvote 0

shop guy: well, they are pretty much the same, but the HTC is 1.5Ghz, the S3 1.4Ghz, but you wouldn't really notice.

Go look around the comments on tech sites people are already deeming the phone in the Vietnam video a "fail" and "not any better than the S2". If its seen to level peg (or beat) the HTC they'd all change their tune.

so it doesn't matter.

it matters.

guys. just. no. :p

Upvote 0
100mhz matters? seriously?
so based on nothing but your assumption, more than half of buyers don't care about specs. but for some reason samsung is going to boost clock speed a minuscule 100mhz because specs are important to a tiny minority of users? i'm confused.

You've already admitted to being a lazy reader before so read my post again and read it properly.
I don't have exact figures so yes the percentages are based on assumption but the reason behind it is not.
Mass market breakdown in descending order of largest to smallest group.
1. The people that buy a phone based on look and function
2. The epeen poser who care about advertised specs
3. The minority of people who can actually buy a phone suited to their needs and can justify it as well.

Have you seen how many people went from the iphone 4 to the 4s? Unless they had an actual use for siri then I reckon the majority of them could have stayed on the ip4 and it would still have done what it needed to do for them. These people were sold by the marketing magic and I dare say they are the epeen poser group as well as they need to have the latest and greatest but as I say before, when asked anything specific about the internals of their phone they won't be able to tell you.
Note that I'm not saying the reverse argument that people who know the techy stuff are spec whores.
I word my posts very carefully, and I'll say it again for you. POSSIBLE boost in speed. And, no I do not consider 10-30% a tiny minority. This is the epeen poser "i think I know tech" crowd.

Just off the top of my head I can count 9 people I know, and when I say know I mean actually see them and talk to them or a regular basis, that have the S2. Out of the 9, only 1 of them knows anything spec related to their phone and they've also gone and rooted it with custom roms. 4 of them are actually the ones who actually bought it based on it having the latest and greatest specs at the time and their source of info were pc mags or cnet reviews which tell them to get it. The other 4 just saw the screen and liked the weight or how it felt etc...
And no I did not make my percentage breakdowns based on that, but that was just for the S2. Throw other people into the mix and you will see that there are more epeen spec whores out there then those who actually know anything about their phone.

seriously. who's going to look at the s3 and the one x and be like..welp. this phone is 100mhz less. it obviously sucks. give me the one x!

sales people sell phones, not specs. (thanks for indulging me btw, fun to have a friendly convo )
Sales people will sell phones to that 50% group easily. Then you get those 10-30% who actually come into the store and look for specs and get sold by marketing terms. And yes believe it or not there are people out there who will pick one phone over the other because of the displayed specs next to the phone.

so it doesn't matter.

it matters.

guys. just. no.
Don't take his words out of context. He meant 100mhz doesnt matter performance wise. But from a marketing perspective to those who are trying to sell a phone and are stuck with people who only care about numbers, then yes that 100mhz will make a difference.

Dismissing someone else's opinion in a few short words and sentences and then following up with rhetorical questions isn't exactly explaining your reasoning behind your point of view which makes it hard for people to actually agree with you. Taking things out of context and putting a spin on it isn't going to help your case either. I'm sure half the readers here know what persuasive writing is so god help whoever fell for your rewording 10-30% as "tiny minority". A lot of things here are just opinion but at least try to be objective and consider things from a different point of view. Some people agree and some people disagree on things but if people are going to tell someone else they are wrong then at least try back it up with sources or reasoning.
E.g You say realistic expectations would mean the specs of the prototype are final. So explain your reasoning behind "realistic expectations"
Others here have already pointed out the time frame, updated prototype models, and marketing as reasons and why there is a POSSIBILITY of a spec bump. They aren't saying that the prototype won't be the specs, they are arguing on what is realistic and what isn't and you just need to explain that bit more clearly so people know where your're coming from.
Sandroid and I are here are still waiting for this source of yours that explained a phosphorescent green pixel meant a different sub pixel arrangement and hence pentile. You don't just go say something along the lines of "if rumours are true about the S3 display then the HOX has a superior display" and then when asked to back up the rumour of the pentile arrangement you tell us not to sweat it.
You are an excellent contributor to this forum with fast updates on the latest news but if you don't want to back up or explain your opinions properly then you shouldn't be dismissing others so quickly because you see things differently to them.

Reactions: RandomMistakes
Upvote 0
http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Origin...NTGO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335009361&sr=8-2
^Link above advertises the " Samsung Galaxy S3 S III i9500" battery charger.

http://www.amazon.de/Dipos-Antirefl...HWVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335012593&sr=8-1
Advertising screen protectors for "Samsung Galaxy S3 i9500" and they also use a phone mockup advertisement haha.

I guess this is good "news" for whoever thinks the i9300 has been changed to a different device like the GS2 HD+ or something. Amazon seems to suggest the S3 is the i9500.

Upvote 0

http://crazytechlab.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-on-blurrycam/

I have to agree with you about the Spec whore and people who doesn't know what cloak speeds really mean.
The same is with megapixels in cameras. The more megapixels the better is image. Right? WRONG! but many consumers thinks like that.

Upvote 0

Then you get that 10-30% market who are epeen spec posers who care about the advertised specs but honest to god don't know anything tech related beyond what they read off fan sites or those shoddy pc magazines. In the iphone camp, these would be the people who say "Retina" display but when actually asked what it is, they won't be able to explain it.
This is the next major market group that Sammy want to target. If you're competitor is advertising quad core 1.5ghz and you advertise something lower on paper, despite benchmarks proving otherwise, you will lose that sale. They don't know anything about cmos censors either and they just care about the MP number. Trust me, we all know someone like that in our lives.
Given the choice between quad a9 and dual a15, without a doubt they will pick the quads.

The final group is like 1-5% at buyers at most. They know their tech and buy a phone that suits them and won't hesitate to reccomend another phone for someone else. As long as Sammy don't go and full on mess up the specs, they know we will get their phone, wait for another phone or just go elsewhere.
We are such minority that they couldn't care less about losing a sale to us.

Yes it's unfair but Samsung are a business and they will try to please all groups and quite frankly, because there exists a large crowd who are sold on just advertised specs or sold on marketing drivel, there is a reason for them to "bother" about the numbers.

If any of this was true AMD Bulldozers would be the best selling CPU (since they have a higher clock speed)

Too bad everybody knows they're slow as hell and nobody buys them.

Upvote 0
So we now have the i9300, i9500 and i9800..

Maybe we are looking at a "S2+" and two S3 models ? say 16Gb and 32Gb ?

It was reported i think by the android authority sites that Samsung are releasing two versions of the s3, with or without NFC, those without in June, and with in july. Maybe that explains the model numbers?

Upvote 0
Listen!

These will make or break the phone for me:

• Camera Quality. I don't want 8-12 megapixels on a generic camera. With applications such as Instagram, Afterfocus, Lightbox, and Vignette Camera, photography has made an impact on the smartphone community. The megapixels only mean so much. I would like to see camera quality on the level of the iPhone 4/4S or S2, scratch resistant lens and no shutter speed. If we can get this coupled with a dedicated camera button we'd be onto something.
  • Call Quality. I often wonder if developers forget the core purpose of a smartphone---calling (and texting). I don't know about anyone else, but I like to hear the person I'm calling and I like for them to hear me, too. The speakers need to be on the same competitive level as the iPhone. Samsung are known for poor radios, too (and believe me, I know---I own the Galaxy Nexus). I want to enjoy both 3G and 4G, and not have the radios struggle to keep a connection.
  • Touchwiz 4.0. Not a fan. HTC's Sense UI has been the only skin I have found likeable, but recently I find that no skins are my favorite. Delayed updates, lag, etc. are, without a doubt, frustrating. If we're given the ability to have Touchwiz or run this with Vanilla that would be fantastic. If not, I may have to reconsider.
  • Physical Build/ Design. The Galaxy Nexus, while nice, was a bit of a let down. A very powerful piece of technology only to be encased in a plastic shell. It would be nice to have something sleek, beautiful, and feel great in my hands. At times the Galaxy Nexus feels a bit lifeless/ toy-ish.

Attention to detail is of paramount importance to me. Since Samsung so often wants to copy and paste all that Apple is doing, it seems to forget to bring that piece over from time to time depending on the phone.

Upvote 0
It was reported i think by the android authority sites that Samsung are releasing two versions of the s3, with or without NFC, those without in June, and with in july. Maybe that explains the model numbers?

I think it will be more likely 3G/HSPA+ and 4G/LTE models. Not sure if they will show both on May 3rd or only 3G model first and LTE model later in the summer.

Upvote 0
  • Camera Quality. I don't want 8-12 megapixels on a generic camera. With applications such as Instagram, Afterfocus, Lightbox, and Vignette Camera, photography has made an impact on the smartphone community. The megapixels only mean so much. I would like to see camera quality on the level of the iPhone 4/4S or S2, scratch resistant lens and no shutter speed. If we can get this coupled with a dedicated camera button we'd be onto something.
  • Call Quality. I often wonder if developers forget the core purpose of a smartphone---calling (and texting). I don't know about anyone else, but I like to hear the person I'm calling and I like for them to hear me, too. The speakers need to be on the same competitive level as the iPhone. Samsung are known for poor radios, too (and believe me, I know---I own the Galaxy Nexus). I want to enjoy both 3G and 4G, and not have the radios struggle to keep a connection.
  • Touchwiz 4.0. Not a fan. HTC's Sense UI has been the only skin I have found likeable, but recently I find that no skins are my favorite. Delayed updates, lag, etc. are, without a doubt, frustrating. If we're given the ability to have Touchwiz or run this with Vanilla that would be fantastic. If not, I may have to reconsider.
  • Physical Build/ Design. The Galaxy Nexus, while nice, was a bit of a let down. A very powerful piece of technology only to be encased in a plastic shell. It would be nice to have something sleek, beautiful, and feel great in my hands. At times the Galaxy Nexus feels a bit lifeless/ toy-ish.

They introduced Touchwiz 4.0 with GSII last year. It won't carry over to GSIII. Instead Touchwiz 5.0 will debut with GSIII from what I heard.

Signal reception issues on Nexus phones are at least partly due to Google. They don't seem to get radio right with google at launching phone, especially CDMA version. Fixes come afterwards. But Sammy's bread and butter phones like GSII, Note seem to have much better reception. So I'm not too worried on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones