• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[UPDATED] How to install Froyo on your Transform [UPDATED]

Ok, so I got it to work by switching to a desktop. The camera fix put me into a boot loop though. I took my battery out, and it started up but then the android system kept crashing. Going to restore to the backup.

EDIT: Restored from backup, reinstalled everything, and reinstalled camera fix. Works now! Thanks TheAndroid!

Anytime.

Upvote 0
Hey! Thank you so much for the useful post! My head's been spinnin' (as i just discovered i could do this with my phone), and this is great!

Since i want EXT4, i placed the "recovery_ext.rfs" in "I:\sdx\update" and the other two files (kernel 2.7 and FroyoRC2) in "I:\sdx\zip"

My problem came at step 10.5: when i ran "Go to console" and typed in "ext4", i hit enter, but got the script "sh: ext4: not found"

Any clue on how to fix this?

Thanks!

.....and i now realize i kinda failed because i posted my reply to the wrong person. Sorry, i'm new to forums!

Upvote 0
First, thanks for the easy to follow directions, it obviously works for alot of people and you made it basically fool proof. My problem seems to be with the SWUpgrade tool. I followed the directions to a T and the first run took about 8 hours but the swupdate tool showed update complete and the phone rebooted. however, it came up with the samsung boot logo but didnt have the progress bar and i left it for about another 8 hours and nothing, it was stuck on that screen. I pulled the battery and am still getting the download screen, and also can still go to the boot screen but cannot get anything else, no recovery mode either. I have tried every method of uninstall and reinstall and different recovery.tar (even tried going back to stock) files but now am stuck.
The SWUpgrade tool will recognise device and drivers and seems to work, but when i get to the Updating screen it goes for 5 seconds and gets stuck at 39% for about 8-10 hours and then moves forward to 98%. I left it on overnight and all day at work with high hopes, but after 16 hours i gave up. I really need my phone but dont want to have to pay $100 to get a replacement. As i have read, it may be alternate computer software can interfere, so i restored factory settings on my computer and before installing ANYTHING, i started over from scratch and here i am 3 hours into it and getting the same exact results. any help will be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Upvote 0
First, thanks for the easy to follow directions, it obviously works for alot of people and you made it basically fool proof. My problem seems to be with the SWUpgrade tool. I followed the directions to a T and the first run took about 8 hours but the swupdate tool showed update complete and the phone rebooted. however, it came up with the samsung boot logo but didnt have the progress bar and i left it for about another 8 hours and nothing, it was stuck on that screen. I pulled the battery and am still getting the download screen, and also can still go to the boot screen but cannot get anything else, no recovery mode either. I have tried every method of uninstall and reinstall and different recovery.tar (even tried going back to stock) files but now am stuck.
The SWUpgrade tool will recognise device and drivers and seems to work, but when i get to the Updating screen it goes for 5 seconds and gets stuck at 39% for about 8-10 hours and then moves forward to 98%. I left it on overnight and all day at work with high hopes, but after 16 hours i gave up. I really need my phone but dont want to have to pay $100 to get a replacement. As i have read, it may be alternate computer software can interfere, so i restored factory settings on my computer and before installing ANYTHING, i started over from scratch and here i am 3 hours into it and getting the same exact results. any help will be greatly appreciated.
thank you

I have a feeling your .tar is corrupted. That would explain not being able to boot into recovery mode. I'd like you to re-download SWUpdater, and your .tar file. Tell me how this goes....

Upvote 0
Before I do this i have a few questions?

1) Will 2.2 allow me to use my phone as a USB flash drive in Windows XP without installing drivers ahead of time?

2) Can I use 2.1 bluetooth wireless headsets for voice dialing and does push to talk work.

3) Can I use stereo bluetooth to stream music to my car radio and too allow me to use push to talk on my radio.

Don't really want to bother rooting if the update doesn't fix the issues I have.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one that's not able to update contacts since doing the upgrade?

Everything went fine, but since I upgraded I haven't been able to update contacts. Whenever I try I get an error that says: "Sorry! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". I have been able to add one or two new contacts without incident, but no luck at all with pre-existing ones.

I'm not 100% sure that it's related to installing Froyo since I did it like two days after I got the phone.

Also I didn't notice it before since the phone was still new, but I'm not getting any LED notifications. I'm not even sure that I am, but I definitely miss seeing that light flashing on my old Pre to let me know that I missed a call or text.

I'm about at the point that I want to take my transform back and trade it for an Evo or something before my 30 days is up (gotta find the reciept, i know it's coming up soon).

Upvote 0
your phones need to be stock in order to get the update ota i believe. but a couple of days after its released a dev will have it up on sdx were u can just flash it most likely.

Well Speeder, maybe you remember the intercept's Froyo update? The big fat hissy fit the phones had with the update where people bricked their phones? Most of that had to do with people being rooting and doing the update with ROMs currently installed, and that's why we learned our lesson! :p Evilsock do you want the official 2.2 update on the Epic? (Hopefully you say no because I don't think you want Sprint ID like us o.o)

Upvote 0
i want everything that comes, i kinda like the sprint apps, tv and such. no idea what sprint id is, its on my girls transform. but im thinking more and more about getting her the epic. useless front cam and all. but my phone is stock i think. i pushed 2.2 on that was the official/unofficial. do i need to odin back to 2.1 to get the update?

and wtf is sprint id anyway

edit, if u didnt read prior posts i have an epic

shit....i forgot, i have CWM installed as well. so no ota for me

Upvote 0
i want everything that comes, i kinda like the sprint apps, tv and such. no idea what sprint id is, its on my girls transform. but im thinking more and more about getting her the epic. useless front cam and all. but my phone is stock i think. i pushed 2.2 on that was the official/unofficial. do i need to odin back to 2.1 to get the update?

and wtf is sprint id anyway

edit, if u didnt read prior posts i have an epic

shit....i forgot, i have CWM installed as well. so no ota for me

Sprint ID installs a ton of apps based upon 'Theme Packs' and widgets included and creates a whole new homepage you can change between using Sprint ID. Bad thing is, if anything is on that other ID like a widget that takes a load of RAM or power, it will make your phone slow as heck and die faster. This is why we don't like Sprint ID. :)

Honestly I would go back to 2.1 if I were you... You and your gf will get the update within the same few days and then you can see if the Transform suites her needs.

Upvote 0
ok next question, i assume odin is the same as rsd lite for motorola, but this is my first samsung can someone post a link on odin download and how to?

edit:derp maybe i should hop over to the epic section

Yep! I'm not exactly an Odin pro. :D

Everyone please read the first paragraph in my guide, I updated it just now with a little info for the community. Thank you!

Upvote 0
So - has anyone actually received the official update yet?

Also, can someone post instructions for people like me who are slow on how to restore to factory? I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter and everything worked (except the facebook app kept crashing). But when I went in to Restore, It showed 2 options, one with what looked like the date I flashed and the other was something else. When I tried to restore to the .tar file listed, it would not boot. It looked like it was still trying to boot to the 2.2 system (I got the screen w/ the apple logo fading and then a reboot). I was able to get it back working by following the instructions to flash again but now I'm worried about whenever they actually do push out 2.2 not getting.

Then again, I don't know if I even need it... Does anyone know if this is going to give us Flash? That's about the only thing I feel like I'm missing. What else (if anything) will it give us?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones