• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updating current rom to newer version...

OK, I know I shouldn't need to ask this question, LOL, but it's been SOOoooo long since I flashed Harmonia and I've forgotten my way.... So, if ben or brotherswing or Andy or anyone else (you are all very helpful!) can give me a quick refresher, I need to understand how to flash the newest version of Harmonia. I thought it was not as complicated to flash a newer version of one's existing ROM, but I could be off base... I currently have Harmonia 1.6.1 and want to flash the newest, which looks like 1.8. I kind of :)o yes, I'm embarrassed) forget the whole doing a backup thru recovery thing. ugh!! but i'm sure it will come back. :D Then I'll be following ben's instructions to recover my Link2sd.

TIA!!!

I always wipe but sushi doesn't really know how to flash items which is why she has asked for step by step walk through. I just need to know what direction she wants to go.

Thanks all for your replies. yep...ben knows me and all that tech talk takes me out of my depth. ;) ben, I honestly don't remember what i downloaded...i do know that i ended up putting on a new recovery and then i think i did the kernel for the hitachi screen? then i just downloaded and flashed the harmonia 1.6.1. whatever i did, i still have on my phone, i'm sure. where would i look to find what i had/did?

honestly, i just wanted to try the new updated harmonia b/c the market (google play) was fixed and i wanted to see if i could gain some stability with a new flash. i'm not ready yet to go to an entire new system, like backside. will flashing the newest version of harmonia be complicated?

thanks so much!!

Upvote 0
No you do the wipe then flash the new update and the kernel and then follow that tutorial I made for link2sd and you will be good. If you downloaded directly to your phone it should be in a folder called download or if you moved it to the root, first section of your card, it will be there. With her new wipe zip it makes it that much easier. So download the wipe zip, the rom zip, backup all your apps with titanium backup, reboot into your recovery, go to backup and restore, go to backup, select yes, wait, now go to install zip from sd card, go to where the wipe zip is select it, select yes, when it's done select install zip from sd card again now install the rom zip, select install zip from sd card again, go to your kernel, select and install it, reboot, then go to my link2sd tutorial you were at earlier and you should be ok.

Reactions: sushifor5
Upvote 0
I'm trying to put everything together for her because she can get overwhelmed trying to get through all the info.

Yah, that's me. :D You're my hero! I'm going to do everything you described and I'll report back. Thanks!!

edit: ok, i am looking at androzip and i'm seeing some files on the root of my card that i downloaded all on the day that i flashed harmonia in december... Here's what i have:

._VM670NH_recovery.img
Harmonia_1.7_OV1 2.zip
VM670NH_recovery.img
pica07remix.zip

Don't know why I have two recoveries or if it matters... Is the pica07remix.zip the kernel?

may need to put this off til tomorrow, but am going to try to download Harmonia 1.8 and that wiper file you mentioned tonight. Let me know if I need to download anything else. Thx!!

Reactions: benslgdroid
Upvote 0
Yah, that's me. :D You're my hero! I'm going to do everything you described and I'll report back. Thanks!!

edit: ok, i am looking at androzip and i'm seeing some files on the root of my card that i downloaded all on the day that i flashed harmonia in december... Here's what i have:

._VM670NH_recovery.img
Harmonia_1.7_OV1 2.zip
VM670NH_recovery.img
pica07remix.zip

Don't know why I have two recoveries or if it matters... Is the pica07remix.zip the kernel?

may need to put this off til tomorrow, but am going to try to download Harmonia 1.8 and that wiper file you mentioned tonight. Let me know if I need to download anything else. Thx!!

Because one gave you the black screen. Yes you need the remix zip that's your kernel.

Reactions: sushifor5
Upvote 0
Thanks guys! I was ill today and am just now catching up with my "to dos," so am going to try and do this before i head to bed, but it may not happen tonight; i'll let you know if i pull a "techno dummy" move and mess things up, LOL! cheers!

Edit (yes, i know it's annoying, sorry...old habits die hard LOL):

Ummm, when I did my backup in recovery and then plugged my phone into my computer to backup there (just in case), I noticed my USB debugging is clicked on...I have no recollection why. Do I need this on? Do I do something with USB debugging in the rom flashing? TIA!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys! I was ill today and am just now catching up with my "to dos," so am going to try and do this before i head to bed, but it may not happen tonight; i'll let you know if i pull a "techno dummy" move and mess things up, LOL! cheers!

Edit (yes, i know it's annoying, sorry...old habits die hard LOL):

Ummm, when I did my backup in recovery and then plugged my phone into my computer to backup there (just in case), I noticed my USB debugging is clicked on...I have no recollection why. Do I need this on? Do I do something with USB debugging in the rom flashing? TIA!

You don't need it on or off for this, but for future's sake I would leave it on.....there's really no point in turning it off, but if a newbie needs to do something requiring debugging and debugging is off, the newbie would be extremely confused because a lot of us think that everyone leaves USB debugging on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones