1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Updating to 5.0

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PRkid, Feb 17, 2016.

1. PRkid

PRkid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Male
    Lazy person
    Bronx, NY
    So I had a Galaxy S5 few months ago, and had updated it to 5.1 but it became laggy, much so that I had to restart the phone a few times a day. This Note 4 from T Mobile is on 4.4.4, but I checked if it had an update, and it does. But for 5.0. How is 5.0 on the Note 4? Or should I root it and add a Custom ROM?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    My Note 4 on Verizon is not laggy and it is using 5.1.x

I am nervous about rooting, I can't afford a brick, so I have never done it.

FWIW, my S5 is not laggy either, and it also has 5.x on it....
    .... I have two S5 phones, one on 5.x and one on 4.4.4

there is something amiss with the S5 you had/have.

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    No worries, AZ: AFAIK the Verizon Note 4 can't be rooted because of the encrypted bootloader. I have a Note 4 Developer Edition, which is a Verizon variant that I bought directly from Samsung. It came with an unlocked bootloader... and it's still rooted & ROMmed to this day. It's my standby, backup phone in case my current daily driver dies. So unless there has been a dramatic change, the stock Note 4 on VZW can't be rooted.

PRkid, if you're comfortable rooting and installing a custom ROM, I would if I were you. ROMs are generally bloat-free, streamline things, maximize resources, and you can customize it to your heart's content... making it your phone, the way YOU want it. Not the way THEY want you to have it.

4. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Yeah, I bought my Note 4 off Swappa and was so tickled when I noticed it still had 4.4.4

I intended to find a nice little guru to help me get thru rooting it to stay that way...

then, one night early, like 0330 in the morning, without having gone to bed, I just up and moved the SIM from my S5 to the Note 4.... my intention was to tell it 'NO' when it asks if I want to update 'Now'....

I never got that chance, and I knew it the instant the phone powered up... It went straight into the OTA update taking more than an hour to finish up with "updating my apps" which I did not want done.

so, here I sit, with a Note 4 on LolliFlop and no way to root it even if I wanted to now.

5. touringhaggis

touringhaggis Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2012
    Male
    DevOps Engineer
    Germany
    Hi,

I upgraded from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1 a while ago and found that:
    1. The known memory leak problem would kill me after a few hours (apps memory footprint would grow until they crashed).
    2. Bluetooth performance was terrible.
    3. I could find no functional benefits.
    4. I didn't like the status bar changes.

I reverted the phone back to 4.4.4 as it was the same amount of work as performing a factory reset (which is sort of recommended when performing a major update), so I don't know if I could have got the phone to run smooth with 5.0.1. That said I didn't want to take the risk since 4.4.4 works just great for me.

Now that 5.1.1 is available for my phone (an unlocked international phone), I may be brave and give that a try, but probably not. At least the bad memory leak should be patched in that version.

Regards,
    Eric.

6. AZgl1500

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    there is nothing about 5.x that is worth a damn.

I wish I had rooted my Note 4 before I installed the Verizon SIM card.
    I really like 4.4.4 which is still the best of the OS versions.

forresterchristie likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launched in 2014 as the company's flagship phablet. It has a 5.7-inch screen with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 3GB of RAM, and an impressive 16 megapixel camera.