• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I guess value is in the eye of the beholder. I see many things that will improve my experience when I upgrade from my Note 5 to the Note 7.

Note 7 advantages over Note 5
- Bigger battery
- SD card slot
- Greater base storage (64GB)
- Water resistance (people do spill things sometimes)
- Faster CPU, faster Graphics
- Improved HDR screen
- Improved software interface - including a Always on Display with 3rd party apps now, ability to reduce display to 1080 or 720p to save power, cleaner Touchwiz and notification area and settings, etc
- Updated S-Pen features (translate, Peek (keep another app open to "peek" back and forth), and yes the gifs which I think are cool)
- Iris scanner (if you care about that, I don't)
- Cool gifts as a bonus (free 256gb micro SD or Gear Fit 2)

would you call those significant though? i don't think so except the sd card slot. the battery still needs to be tested. but maybe because i'm not a "power user"

Upvote 0
would you call those significant though? i don't think so except the sd card slot. the battery still needs to be tested. but maybe because i'm not a "power user"

Would I ? yes. I guess it really depends on what is valuable to each person though. Smartphones are so good nowadays that there is almost never a year where the current model "blows away" the previous model. Just about all the new flagships are fast and offer great experiences. I love my Note 5. I have no problem with anyone not wanting to upgrade from it, it still runs great.

But for me there are significant improvements with the Note 7 . Water resistance is huge for me. I have a pool, I go to the beach a lot. Having 64GB base storage is important to me(and the SD slot). An improved camera is always great, etc.

There probably isn't a need to upgrade every year anymore, as there was in the past. One really needs to want or need to updated pieces or maybe just wants the latest and greatest. Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones