• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade on one line, activate on another

Kolk1604

May 21, 2010
Okay, so I have a couple of lines on my plan. Back in March, I was due for an upgrade. My friend really wanted the Droid, so I have my upgrade to her. Now she is eligible for an upgrade as of 6/30.

My question is when I order the Droid X under her number, and then when I call to activate it and it asks what mobile number I'm activating it for, does it have to be her number or can it be mine?

I know I could just activate it to her line and then just switch the phone over, but the problem is I have her phone isured. And I know when you change phones, the insurance is dropped. I'm not sure if I could just call them and add insurance back to a phone I bought four months ago.

Thanks guys :)

Just went thru this yesterday with my wife. She took my upgrade to get an incredible, i am taking hers to get my droid X. When the incredile arrived she couldn't activate it under her number. We had to call Customer Service and have them walk us thru it. SHe had to activate it under my line. Then turn the phone off and reactivate my line on my old Blackberry. Then she had to do a ##778 and change the MDN (mobile directory number) to her own as well as a few other options in there. The CS rep walked us thru the whole thing. Once she was done we did a *228 and it worked like a charm.

I will need to do the same when i get the X under her account

Upvote 0
Just went thru this yesterday with my wife. She took my upgrade to get an incredible, i am taking hers to get my droid X. When the incredile arrived she couldn't activate it under her number. We had to call Customer Service and have them walk us thru it. SHe had to activate it under my line. Then turn the phone off and reactivate my line on my old Blackberry. Then she had to do a ##778 and change the MDN (mobile directory number) to her own as well as a few other options in there. The CS rep walked us thru the whole thing. Once she was done we did a *228 and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the quick response. I know once you activate it to line the upgrade was meant for, then you can use it on any verizon line you want. I was hoping there was an easier way to activate it to my line, without activating it on hers and dropping the insurance. I thought maybe since it ask what mobile number to activate to, I could just use mine. Ahh well, guess not.

Guess I'll just call customor service or go to my local verizon store.

Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
Okay, so I have a couple of lines on my plan. Back in March, I was due for an upgrade. My friend really wanted the Droid, so I have my upgrade to her. Now she is eligible for an upgrade as of 6/30.

My question is when I order the Droid X under her number, and then when I call to activate it and it asks what mobile number I'm activating it for, does it have to be her number or can it be mine?

I know I could just activate it to her line and then just switch the phone over, but the problem is I have her phone isured. And I know when you change phones, the insurance is dropped. I'm not sure if I could just call them and add insurance back to a phone I bought four months ago.

If you are getting it in the store, they can take care of all of this for you. You can keep the insurance also. I still have the 4.99 Asurion insurance even though I've had a smartphone for the past 3 years, and I activated my Droid through the *228.

If you order it from online, just punch in your phone # during the *228 process and it should go through fine. If not, it transfers you to CS and they will finish for you.

This is not the norm. If you had to change the MDN, then there was a glitch in the *228 process. Usually the only time you'll have a problem with the *228 option is if you don't accept the contract extension (when ordered online).

Upvote 0

Verizon has a 1800 # (automated) to accept the two year contract and activate at a later date. That is how I do it to switch phones between lines without activating first. Not sure if that will help you but here's the #1-877-807-4646.

Upvote 0
Verizon has a 1800 # (automated) to accept the two year contract and activate at a later date. That is how I do it to switch phones between lines without activating first. Not sure if that will help you but here's the #1-877-807-4646.

Yes this is what I did as well, but I thought I call something like *228 then accepted then, said activate at a later time. But yeah it seems as though we did the same thing.

Upvote 0
When I activate upgrades on customers lines it never cancels the insurance. It always just carriers over to the new phone. I always go back and check the line after doing the swap and the insurance is always still on the line.

When I bought the Droid, I activated it to my number, and then I went online and switch it over to her line using the ESN. And then there was a page that showed you the features you were adding and removing. The insurance was on the remove list and I couldn't change it so I had to call customer service.

Upvote 0
I went into VZW to ask about this and a rep told me they won't do it. They said you have to upgrade that line only. I asked her if I could then just switch phones that were activated... because this isn't against any policies, or shouldn't be, and she said they're not supposed to... I was a bit confused.

Upvote 0
Ok here is my plan. I got the Eris in November and I hate it. My brother in-law was nice enough to offer up one of his upgrades to me to get the X. So I am going to get one on his extra line and activate to that line. Then from a spare phone *228 option 3 to his line to release the new phone. From the new I will then do a *228 option 3 for my line to complete the transfer. I know this part work because I did this to switch my Eris with my wifes so I could root.

This next part is where I start to get confused. When I get the phone on his account he will have to get the $30 data plan. Once I take that phone off of his account will he be able to remove that feature?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones