• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [US Celluar] Using a Phone With a Broken Screen

Rezard

Jun 27, 2012
Hey all.

So, I managed to finally break my GS3's screen. I gotta say, I am surprised it didn't happen sooner... many, many times sooner. lol. Although the screen is not displaying, nor detecting touches, I still find myself on the edge of still having some use of it. Perhaps I could find a way through the aid of some clever minds here. :)

To start, if I had only left Bluetooth enabled, I could still make and receive calls with my Bluetooth headset. So close, I can taste it!

I can also display the phone on my TV via HDMI. Can't use the screen to use anything, but had I paired a Bluetooth mouse to it prior, and again if I had left it on, that would be perfect (at home, anyways). As it is, I just wish the MHL adapter provided an open USB after using the only one, since a USB mouse worked a-ok in the past.

So I guess my big question is: Can I enable the Bluetooth of the phone remotely? Perhaps through ADB..? (I realize this probability as I type)

And if there are any other ideas for my situation, please throw them out there. Lets skip the obvious, like "Just get a new phone", please.

Thank you!

Hey all.

So, I managed to finally break my GS3's screen. I gotta say, I am surprised it didn't happen sooner... many, many times sooner. lol. Although the screen is not displaying, nor detecting touches, I still find myself on the edge of still having some use of it. Perhaps I could find a way through the aid of some clever minds here. :)

To start, if I had only left Bluetooth enabled, I could still make and receive calls with my Bluetooth headset. So close, I can taste it!

I can also display the phone on my TV via HDMI. Can't use the screen to use anything, but had I paired a Bluetooth mouse to it prior, and again if I had left it on, that would be perfect (at home, anyways). As it is, I just wish the MHL adapter provided an open USB after using the only one, since a USB mouse worked a-ok in the past.

So I guess my big question is: Can I enable the Bluetooth of the phone remotely? Perhaps through ADB..? (I realize this probability as I type)

And if there are any other ideas for my situation, please throw them out there. Lets skip the obvious, like "Just get a new phone", please.

Thank you!

Try "service call bluetooth 3" in adb shell. It worked for me (although it may or may not require root. I tested on my phone which is rooted. I'll try on my N7)

EDIT: that command didn't work on my N7 (with or without root in the shell)...

YMMV

Reactions: Rezard
Upvote 0
I will have to try that command. I haven't used ADB in quite a while, so I'll have to get that setup on my comp. My phone is rooted (thank god), so I'll just have to go at it blind. One issue that concerns me is having the phone accepting of the ADB commands when I can't set the USB to debug mode. Or do I just need it in download mode and it'll take it...? Again, it's been a while since I really messed around "inside" my devices, so I gotta refresh myself a bit here.

FWIW - I'm looking at getting a certain dock for Galaxy devices, which will allow me to see through HDMI while using a USB mouse simultaneously. Works on i9300s for sure, but I'm hoping my lame USCC variant will be in for it, too.

Thanks for your advice and results, friend. :)

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I've moved you from the Android System Mods, Scripts and Hacks - Android Forums area over to the SGS3 US Cellular ATR area for you you.

So, did you verify if you have USB debugging enabled? (I hope your last post wasn't implying that it wasn't :( -- having it enable and rooted really does give you options that aren't otherwise available to folks).

Best of luck, Rezard!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones