• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB mass storage with android phone?

Dowland

Lurker
Sep 15, 2012
Sorry - I don't see any other thread specifically about this. I just bought an infinity tablet with docking station, and am really enjoying it so far. However, I'd like very much to be able to connect my Samsung Droid Charge phone to it via USB to transfer files, etc., but when I plug it in the tablet won't recognize the mass storage. USB is clearly working - I've plugged in regular old USB memory sticks and they worked, and plugging the phone in will charge it, but the tablet won't recognize the file structure.

Is this something that I need a special app for, or is it simply not possible?

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't work because the tablet is looking for a mass storage device, but the phone takes some time before mounting as mass storage, even if you set it to be 'disk drive' by default when plugged in. I had this same problem trying to get my car to read my music on my phone when plugged in to USB. I ended up just streaming via BT.

I've had my phone work with other cars' USB ports, so perhaps it's a property of USB host mode. Not sure if the tablet port can be fixed by software/app.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you're at home, it seems kinda silly sending files all over the Internet just to get them a few feet away. I did a quick search and found a SMB client for Android that looks ideal for syncing files to a central home server. There's also a SMB server so you can copy files to/from your Android machines on a Windows (or Linux or Mac) computer on the LAN.

No matter how you feel about Windows, SMB is a really good way to move files across a home LAN.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried any of these apps, so I'm not endorsing them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones