• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB stuck in charge only

Thank you for your suggestions. I checked and tried all of them, but still can't get it to work. I'm 99% sure this is a bug. It happened exactly when the version Android was updated on my phone. I think it's a specific issue with the way I selected Charge Only, the LG-specific options, and the Android update.

---

Have I tried a different computer? Yes. I have tried it on Linux, Windows 7, and Mac OS. The Linux computer is the computer I was previously able to use to connect to.

The pop-up option does not return, even though I reset the phone to factory settings. It is locked into Charge Only mode even after a full settings reset.

I don't remember if I've tried flipping the USB-c connector over in the phone, but I've tried several dozen times, so I'm sure I've randomly had it both ways over the course of my experimentation. Also, I would expect the super expensive ones I've purchased would work both ways. I've also tried jostling them in the port a bit to no effect.

---

If by STORAGE you mean the option I see in the General tab of my Settings, when I click on it, it only has device storage options and there are not three dots anywhere. I've explored every inch of my settings looking for places to affect the USB connection type. It's not an issue of me just not searching hard enough for the option.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your suggestions. I checked and tried all of them, but still can't get it to work. I'm 99% sure this is a bug. It happened exactly when the version Android was updated on my phone. I think it's a specific issue with the way I selected Charge Only, the LG-specific options, and the Android update.

---

Have I tried a different computer? Yes. I have tried it on Linux, Windows 7, and Mac OS. The Linux computer is the computer I was previously able to use to connect to.

The pop-up option does not return, even though I reset the phone to factory settings. It is locked into Charge Only mode even after a full settings reset.

I don't remember if I've tried flipping the USB-c connector over in the phone, but I've tried several dozen times, so I'm sure I've randomly had it both ways over the course of my experimentation. Also, I would expect the super expensive ones I've purchased would work both ways. I've also tried jostling them in the port a bit to no effect.

---

If by STORAGE you mean the option I see in the General tab of my Settings, when I click on it, it only has device storage options and there are not three dots anywhere. I've explored every inch of my settings looking for places to affect the USB connection type. It's not an issue of me just not searching hard enough for the option.

What they mean is on certain devices you will have MTP show up in the storage option and to see all of the menu items you press the three dots.
On my device I get a message saying Connected as media device then the storage option changes to USB PC Connection.

Upvote 0
I have an LG G6 with this problem.

I pull down the notification when I am connected, and there are no options do to anything but charge. In developer mode, under Select USB Configuration, I cannot select anything but Charging Only. If I select MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), it says Charging only, regardless of whether I am connected to a computer. I used the original cable that came with my phone, same result. I used fancy expensive cables I purchased from Amazon, same result. I bought another generic USB cable that claims to support transfers, and I bought a really expensive Belkin cable that claims to support transfers.

Before I ever selected Charging only, I was able to use MTP mode. I transferred a number of files to my computer using it.

Here's the crazy part. I just reset my phone to factory defaults, and it is still stuck in Charging only mode.

Any ideas? Am I just eternally cursed to never be able to connect my phone to my computer again?

Thanks.

So, I'm actually having this same problem with my LG Stylo 2, which is Marshmallow. Instead of being stuck in charging, mine is stuck in MTP, but still only charges. I'm using cords that I know work for data transfer, connecting to a USB port I know that works as well. I am trying to run a system update, to see if it ends up overwriting something.

Upvote 0
Hey guys
I m using Itel Wish A41 and facing the very same problem as-
I pull down the notification when I am connected, and there are no options do to anything but charge. In developer mode, under Select USB Configuration, I cannot select anything but Charging Only. If I select MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), it says Charging only, regardless of whether I am connected to a computer. I used the original cable that came with my phone, same result.
I tried the above solutions but it was all waste.
Need Help

Upvote 0
I had problems for some months that my Huawei P9 carged only and offered me no other options. It seemed that the computer didn't find any phone connected either.
Finally, I realised that the micro USB port in the phone was partially filled with dust.
When I had removed the dust using a needle, the phone connected fine ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones