• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USCellular phone replacement

Ziphless

May 26, 2011
Considering I'm on my third phone replacement....and now this one is freezing up with the screenshot glitch, I may consider another swap! Is there an equal phone to the mesmerise? I really like the features of the mesmerise. I have a small collection of apps,I don't play any games, just facebook, email, and surfing. Any suggestions?

I went with the LG Genesis, which now costs a little more than the Mesmerize, but I couldn't be happier with it. It is a little bulkier than the Mesmerize because of the physical keyboard (which is fantastic), but it is a great phone. The display is not as vibrant as the Mesmerize but still looks good. I have not had any technical issues with the Genesis and the battery life has been much better than LG and USC rated it at, usually giving me about 8-9 hours of moderate use before I need to recharge.

I would highly recommend the Genesis and will answer any specific questions you might have about it.

Reactions: Ziphless
Upvote 0
I went in to get my husband's first Android, and ended up leaving the store with one also (my first smartphone ever). He went with an HTC Merge, and I ended up (after a next-day swap - the Gem fit in my pocket nice, but couldn't run anything without freezing up so I took it back) with the LG Genesis.

So keeping in mind that this is my first smart phone, and I really didn't want a smart phone (I don't like the idea that I have an expensive toy that I can't slip into a pocket or safely accidentally drop frequently), I really like it.

Pros:
-The full keyboard is near perfect - much nicer than the Merge. The learning curve has been quick, and it is pretty intuitive. I really like the placement of the arrows, and the sizing of everything. I'll never be able to go to a touchscreen-only keyboard after this. I chose this phone mainly for the keyboard, and I would definitely do it again.
-It has been very reliable for me. Runs almost everything I've thrown at it. Did spaz out twice on me at first (I had to pull the battery out to stop it), but I think that might have been an issue with the power cord I was using.
-Display brightness gets bright enough for use outside, and dim enough for use at night.
-It's fast.
-Screen is prettier compared to the Merge.

Cons:
-I would have preferred a slider and single screen like the Merge has. 2 screens just seems like a waste to me. Having said that, the Genesis still weighs less than the Merge, which is nice.
-It is so new, finding accessories and batteries has been really tough and/or expensive. Some new cases finally came out in the past couple of days, but batteries are still pricey.
-The spine buttons (volume, power, and camera) are very difficult to hit when the phone is open because of the clamshell design. Touchscreen buttons at the bottom of the inside screen are also difficult to get to.
-Included cord must be flavored with catnip.
-Photos taken in low light are pretty orange.

All in all I'd choose this phone again. I definitely like it more than the Merge, but would be happy with either. My husband would pick the Merge again, but likes both too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones