• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use native Pixel 4 launcher or Nova??

I have used Nova for years and love it. With the Pixel 4 and all the changes, are we better using the native launcher? Your thoughts?

Haven't use Nova in a LOOOONNGGGG time, but the Pixel launcher is usually considered one of, if not the, best. I most likely runs a bit better on a a pixel than Nova, but I can't swear to that. I'm still getting used to new Android 10 back/switch app gestures (they did away with traditional back button and such, though you can switch back to old way), but so far there hasn't been any reason for me to try a different launcher.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
The Pixel launcher doesn't run better than Nova on my Pixel 2, so I can't imagine why it would on the 4.

If you want to use the new iPhone-styled gestures then you have to use the Pixel launcher because Google rather stupidly integrated aspects of the one with the other. They do claim that an update in the future will allow third party launchers access, but it's not happened yet.

If you are ok without, then I personally see no reason to use the inflexible Pixel launcher. It's a matter of taste, but if I wanted some corporation to tell me what I have to put on my home screen I'd buy an iPhone ;)

Upvote 0
It really comes down to personal choice. Like @Hadron mentioned, the Pixel Launcher does (currently) integrate more fully with the gesture-based navigation than any third-party launcher (currently) can.

I was an avid user of Action Launcher for years, but with the Pixel 3 I actually found that the Pixel Launcher was quicker and more responsive. It may not be as flexible, but I haven't looked back.

So yeah, up to you. :)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones