• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use Razr with LapDock for Bionic

PurdueGuy

Apr 21, 2010
I stopped by the Verizon store today to look at the lapdocks. They only had the 100 on display, so I was asking if they had "the larger one" (I had done some quick research on my Razr before going to the store, and had read up a bit on the 500. He didn't have the 500, but brought out the lapdock for the Bionic. I liked the size, partway between the 100 and 500, and I loved the slimness, almost the same as the Razr at its thicker point.

The sales person was telling me he was pretty sure the Razr would work with it, because one of his coworkers had broken the screen on his Razr and was using a bionic lapdock as a work-around. Then he found out the price on the bionic lapdock had been lowered to $200, so I bought it.

Now I'm finding that it doesn't quite work. The ports line up (though the Razr is upside-down), but the shape of the dock for the Bionic gets in the way of the shape of the Razr, and the ports don't seat well. At one point I got it to load into Webtop, but the touchpad only worked for a moment. I think it would work with just a bit of clearance added to the dock, but I can still return the lapdock for a refund, and am not keen on modifying a $200 accessory unless I'm ABSOLUTELY sure it will work and be useful. I also think it would work with some kind of extension cables, but I haven't been able to find the right cables, and it looks like others have also tried to find the right cables for other phone/lapdock combos with no success (outside of using a multitude of cables and adapters, which would get rather clumsy).

So, just wondering if anyone on here has info on getting the Lapdock for the Droid Bionic to work with the Razr before I take it back.

I have read of other people getting short extension cables to 'extend' the ports on the lapdock out far enough that the phone just lays on the desk.
You might look in to that.

I would be very interested in doing that, but so far haven't been able to find the right extensions. Do you know if this is an extension for both cables in one piece (like the connectors on the backs of the 100 & 500), or an individual extension for each cable? Obviously together would be ideal (even if likely to be more expensive). I've found an extension for one of the connectors individually (I forget which one, I think the usb), but not for the other, at least not without using an adapter. I'm also concerned about the individual cables' heads being too large to sit side by side where they need to.

Upvote 0
Playing with it a little more, I can get it soooo close to working if I put pressure on the phone, so the contacts are very close to working. Has anyone dismantled one of these before? Couldn't find anything in a google search, but if I could confidently take the dock section apart to grind just a bit of plastic off, I just might do it.

Upvote 0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230726089953?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Along with
http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c1e49f6da
and
http://www.ebay.com/...=item35b84978de

Upvote 0
Playing with it a little more, I can get it soooo close to working if I put pressure on the phone, so the contacts are very close to working. Has anyone dismantled one of these before? Couldn't find anything in a google search, but if I could confidently take the dock section apart to grind just a bit of plastic off, I just might do it.

See if this helps.

xda-developers - View Single Post - $50 Atrix LapDock

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm about to pic up a Bionic Lapdock to use with my Razr.

Verizon is selling them for $50 in store only. I don't like the looks of the newer lapdocks and was drawn to this Atrix/Bionic lapdock.

Since I will be going through the same process, PurdueGuy, could you please post a pic of your final result? I wouldn't mind knowing where I should work down the plastic.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones