1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Use your smartphone as a PC

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by DaNilson, May 16, 2011.

1. DaNilson

DaNilson Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    business owner
    Nowadays with the CPU's already at 1.2 Gigahertz dualcore speeds it shouldn't take long before we can use our smartphones as a personal computer.

It would be so handy when you could just connect a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and connect a monitor and there you go. I'm surprised at least text processing and surfing the internet isn't already possible like this or am I missing something?

Advertisement

2. Android2230

Android2230 Newbie
    None

May 4, 2011
    Bowing before the mighty Android
    Serbia (where a Galaxy Tab P1000 costs 1000 EU and
    Actually, there is a tablet with Tegra 2 with a dock that extends battery life, has a keyboard and mouse. Asus made it and it's called the Asus EEE Pad TF101 Transform.
    It is a tablet not a smartphone but it does have cool features.
    Hope this helps.

3. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Motorola Atrix has a keyboard/monitor dock that makes the phone into a rather low powered computer/netbook device. The concept is interesting and cool to me, but the reviews I have seen indicate that the execution of this concept was poor. I think it will take a few years at least before I am able to replace my PC with just my phone or tablet.

4. DaNilson

DaNilson Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    business owner
    I think so too. It's a shame because the software development is lagging behind.

5. qwer

qwer Member
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Don't bluetooth keyboards work with Android devices? If they do, just use one with a phone with hdmi out. Sure, it won't replace your computer completely, but it's pretty close.

6. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Smartphones/tablets will never replace PCs until Smartphones/tablets can run full Windows programs. Laptops may be replaced by smartphones with docks and tablets sooner, though, but there is still a deficiency of what tablets/docks can do that laptops have mastered.

Perhaps in 3 years minimum laptop manufacturers will be looking at making tablets instead. Perhaps in 5-7 years PC manufacturers will be scared. And yes, I am factoring the high-end gaming computer, too. Why? Look at the number of PC games coming out today and how many of them are mostly X360/PS3 ports. My 3 year old machine runs new games without trouble at max spec because of this. Not all games, I understand, but consoles are not going away and have been making it so PC games do not need as much hardware as they used to.

7. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    The 1.2 ghz of power is no where near the same as 1.2 ghz of pc power. You can not confuse the two.