• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

User Reviews + first impressions

Well I am in the same boat guys. I am on my second 3d becuase of week signal strenght. I went from an EVO and never thinking twice abought signals or dropped calls, to my 3d needing an Airrave installed in my house just to keep a call going. my 3d dropps calls every other day. I spent an 2 hours over at my local corperate spritn store. They did all the test just to come back and tell me my phone is fine, baloney.

Upvote 0
The 3DVO has nothing but my deepest love, respect, admiration, and my eternal devotion. I fell head over heals for this device as soon as I turned on the 3D camera. But besides that feature, there are a plethora of things that make this smartphone the perfect match for me and my lifestyle. I don't see myself with any other phone moving forward.

Upvote 0
The 3DVO has nothing but my deepest love, respect, admiration, and my eternal devotion. I fell head over heals for this device as soon as I turned on the 3D camera. But besides that feature, there are a plethora of things that make this smartphone the perfect match for me and my lifestyle. I don't see myself with any other phone moving forward.

I wish I was having your luck. I would be perfectly happy if it wasn't for these issues I seem to keep having. maybe third time will be the charm.

Upvote 0
I wish I was having your luck. I would be perfectly happy if it wasn't for these issues I seem to keep having. maybe third time will be the charm.

This is actually my second round. Within 4 days of receiving it, the camera function wouldn't work at all, and I would have random blackouts where the device would fade to black. I returned it within the first week, so the device I have now is my replacement. Then on the 4th of July, just two weeks after getting the replacement, I accidentally singed the glass screen with some burning residue from the fireworks I was burning and filming at the same time (shooting sparks). It's the size of two pinheads, and it's quite noticeable when the screen it off. Shortly after getting the replacement, I opted not to get a screen protector because I had something else pressing to deal with, so I literally left the Best Buy parking lot before going into the store.

I also didn't have the heart to exchange the phone yet again, since I've had so many other issues with it that first week. That next day after the accident, you can bet that I bought a screen protector though. So I'll live with the imperfections for now. And when it's time for an upgrade, I'll pray that the 3D feature is still available on the next generation of EVO. If not, then I'll try my best to get another 3DVO.

Upvote 0
I had an evo 4g and I think I prefer some things about the 4g over the 3d.

When you take a photo with the evo 3d you can not share it from the camera app, instead you have to open the gallery and share it from there. On the evo 4g, you could be looking at a photo, click menu and share. that was very nice and easy.

on the mail app on the evo 3d you can not click next previous, you have to click menu first. on the evo 4g there were next and previous buttons right there. one thing the evo 3d does have that i like is the ability to mark as read with checkboxes. i wish they would combine the two.

typing on the evo 3d i make more mistakes than i did on the evo 4g, in portrait mode the keys are smaller on the 3d than evo4g.

the icons on the 4g are bigger, which i like

watch espn app on evo 3d is choppy and shows distorted lines, on the evo 4g it worked good. i also liked the kick stand, nice when im at my desk.

i think i may go back to evo 4g given the opportunity, i like the bigger screen and the setup of the camera and mail app. i also like to slightly larger screen. the 3d stuff is a gimic to me and not really how i want to preserve my memories.

Upvote 0
OP - I too have used the Evo 4G extensively, still own it. It's a fine device, but the comparisons you make are really not on target.

You can use custom ROMs on the Evo 4G, or the Evo 3D. I in fact do use a custom ROM - CM7 on my Evo 4G, which is excellent.

I may put CM 7 on the Evo 3D in the future, that will be great as well. However, I am using stock ROM on my Evo 3D right now.

All the points you raised are software based, and they can be so easily addressed. I use Swiftkey X keyboard on my Evo 3D, works great.

While I dearly love my Evo 4G, there is no way I would give up my Evo 3D to go back to it. The Evo 3D is so much faster. The screen has far better resolution. It's got way more memory. Bottom line is the Evo 3D is a great upgrade from the Evo 4G.

Upvote 0
I too am so glad I am not having major problems with my 3D. I love it! And I didn't care about the 3D neither at 1st and never did watch the Green Hornet. But taking 3D pics is kind of cool but having more internal space and memory and the faster processor and olf course the screen I love it. Yea I miss the kickstand but I have a seidio surface case on the way with a kickstand. They have a 15% off coupon code right now BTS2011.

My friend misses his EVO cause he said it was louder he doesn't like the speaker on this one and says the alarm clock isn't near as loud as the old one. It wakes me up! But I love the 3D and I have almost every app that I had on my old plus the ones I had to delete cause I ran out of space and I still have a lot of space left. That's my main thing space and faster processor and double the ram. Oh and the sense 3.0 and the skins I forgot I love the new lock screen. It's awesome!

Reactions: CarrieK
Upvote 0
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the pull down toggles. That's handy too. Took me awhile to get used to them cause I was so used to having 4 separate ones on my EVo on this one page. LOL! My friend just switched from T Mobile to Sprint and got her and her 13 year old a 3D and her 22 year old wanted and got the photon to be different from them. My friend said she charged it all night and is at work and battery is 1/2 gone and she hasn't done much and she forgot her charger. This is her 1st smart phone and I need to show her somethings and make sure stuff isn't syncing every 10 minutes and that her brightness isn't all the way. But whenever I check my battery status and what's been using it on this phone it always says display mine says 81% now. But my battery is better on this phone then my old one but still not the best and I have extras.

yeah the lockscreen and pulldown toggles etc are really handy.

Upvote 0
I've noticed that the benchmarks are considerably lower for this phone. Do these results really reflect the phone's actual performance, or is the EVO 3D capable of much more than that.

I will be playing mostly simple 2D games like PapiWall and occasinally 3D games. This phone will be able to handle these games with no problem right?

Overall, are you guys satisfied with your purchase (for those of you who have this phone)?

Upvote 0
Love it and have no issues with it, and being rooted I love it even more. snappy and fast and very reliable, and did I tell you I love it, lol

I've noticed that the benchmarks are considerably lower for this phone. Do these results really reflect the phone's actual performance, or is the EVO 3D capable of much more than that.

I will be playing mostly simple 2D games like PapiWall and occasinally 3D games. This phone will be able to handle these games with no problem right?

Overall, are you guys satisfied with your purchase (for those of you who have this phone)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones