• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

User Reviews + first impressions

Personally, I don't see one reason I would buy the "Plus" over the "3D'. It's basically the Evo3D lacking the 3D feature. Sure it's got an 8MP camera but as test shots on the forums have shown the 5MP on the Evo3D bests the 8MP on the Evo4G in certain ways. I don't know... maybe I have incorrect thinking processes but more features is always better. Right?

Upvote 0
I'm a little late, but wanted to respond to drexappeal's posts concerning the visibility of the 3D screen even when the phone is in 2D mode.

There is something going on, but it's very subtle.

For me, I only notice it when the screen is white (or predominantly white, like Google's home page). If you tilt the screen even slightly, the hue changes a bit. Because it only takes a slight tilt, your eyes can/will receive two slightly different hues of white, which can be bothersome to some people.

When you tilt the phone a LOT more, you get the typical LCD issues of dropping brightness and contrast, and sometimes discoloration. That's not the issue I'm trying to describe. This problem only requires a slight tilt, like regular hand shake while using the phone. I tend to see very light green and magenta blotches as I gently move the screen around. It looks slightly iridescent, like an abalone shell, but the colors are nowhere that intense.

I noticed this within minutes of using the phone. I immediately checked my Evo 4G on Google's home page. Not reproducible there.

I'm not sure if this is the parallax barrier or if it's just the nature of the Sharp LCD panel. I do know that I experience a similar issue with twisted nematic (TN) LCD monitors. It bothers me, but not so much as to give me a headache. drexappeal may be more sensitive to this than most people.

Now that I've had my phone for two weeks, I can say that I no longer notice this issue; I've tuned it out. I have yet to play with a Sensation to see if the same issue exists there.

Other than this one issue, I'm totally in love with the pixel density and the color reproduction for non-whites. The Evo 4G screen definitely looks a bit dated now.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
To the left... That would indicate an application put it there.
And you are best to determine with that you loaded put it there.

Pull Down the notification bar... There should be a notice there for it

Yea that was the weird thing because there was no notification. There was a few already clicked. Anyways I just clicked clear and now it's gone along with the rest of the notifications. Oh well

Upvote 0
I hate making calls on this phone, it is so inconsistent, even when it call and it rings its choppy, thats been my real major disappointment, that and it does not always sync with my gmail, I have to hit refresh a lot.

Hmm, haven't had an issue with either of these. Here's a suggestion for the former issue:

How to improve call quality on HTC EVO 3D

And I have not been able to put this phone down for more than an hour since I got it.

Upvote 0
Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
LOL! Same here I can't put it down. I'm still rearranging pages and I keep changing my skins and I have more scenes I want to make. A friend showed me beautiful widgets and I have these cool new smaller weather clock widgets. On breaks at work I am on Facebook app or playing words with friends or just showing someone my cool phone and a 3D picture. I had the EVO before and was the same way with the EVO until I sold it back to Sprint. I raved about it and how I had the best phone ever and blah blah blah and now I am doing it all over again with the 3D and I love this phone so much.

and I still can't put this phone down. Is there a support group for this addiction?

Reactions: novox77 and CarrieK
Upvote 0
After loving the first one, the green hue/tint issues really bummed me out, I swapped out for a new one and now I have a slew of other issues that are just making this phone out to be a dud in my book, new issues i have encountered today

1. The Evo 3D 2D camera is just terrible, hopefully its a software issue and i am well aware of the issues (i am part of the threads) but the camera freezing when using it to take multiple shots (one after the other like a normal camera) and the green hue/tint issues still makes it one of the worst cameras out there - the Evo 4G was so much better - (but i will say the 3D camera for 3d shots is dam good for that feature)

3. Battery seems to fluctuate good and bad in the same conditions (also not reaching 100% on some days and still showing green), also having charging port looseness concerns - wiggling it secures the charger sometimes is the only way to get it to charge

4. Signal issues, 3G def slower than Evo 4G - wifi seems faster though (+1 there)

5. Phone is just not that cool anymore, the initial wow factor has def wore off and i honestly miss my old Evo - anyone else out there feeling the blues lately the more you use this thing?

6. FB sucks on this phone, nothing is accurate (that just maybe the app tho) but again never had issues on the old Evo before

7. Contacts all out of wack when syncing FB, google, FB htc sense, regular contacts, even getting suggested links for completely different people wth?

8. Speaker is terrible, music wise its not bad but for the phone is weak and tin cup sounding

9. Gmail seems to be bugging out lately and not sending me my normal emails as they arrive, it works when it wants to the past couple but that too has never been a concern until now, whats the deal with the native apps for our phones that all of a sudden are not working with the Evo 3D - can this be a Sprint reception signal issue, bc I know that too has been questionable -

I guess thats it for now but this is all after alot of use since launch and a replacement (brand new device) ...I really wish the SGS II was out so i could compare but if its anything like my fiances Epic 4G ill pass as that too is a pretty bad device

Upvote 0
Ditto +1 ^^

return the phone, i am still loving mine. None of the issues you have stated have affected me, i get better 3g than the 4g, its faster, better battery life and all apps work with out a hitch. The photon 4g is coming out the end of this month. good luck

My phone is pretty bad a**, fast, smooth and fun

Reactions: jallp82
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones