1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using Headphone Jack Causes OS Issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Grffiin, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Grffiin

Grffiin Lurker

Hi,
    This problem has been happening for the last 2-3 months intermittently, but has come back in a very annoying way recently.

Sometimes, when I plug in headphones / AUX cords into my Pixel XL, it causes weird issues, usually one or both of the following:
    • Google Assistant is called up, sometimes 3 or 4x in rapid succession
    • If there is music playing, music will either pause and play rapidly, or skip / go back multiple songs in quick succession
    This has occurred on 2 different pairs of headphones (which I've had no problems with when using with other devices) as well as my car's AUX chord (which I've also tested with other devices).

Usually, the phone is not being touched while these issues occur.

Any help, explanation, or possible fixes would be greatly appreciated.
    (I'm running the latest version of Android with no custom launchers and no root)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

First check to see if there's anything stuck inside the headphone jack. Shine a flashlight down in there and look for any debris. You might also use a bit of compressed air to knock anything loose.

How many conductor rings are on the end of the headphones / aux cords that you're using? The phone expects four conductors (TRRS):
    trrs-diagram1.jpg

If the cable connection has less than four conductors then you sometimes wind up with shorted signals on the phone side, and those shorts get interpreted as if you were pressing buttons on an inline remote.

lunatic59 likes this.
  3. Grffiin

Grffiin Lurker

I do not currently have access to the other connectors I was using, but the current one causing the issue is TRS. Looking at my other headphones that haven't been causing me issues, they both TRRS... this is likely the issue. Thank you!

lunatic59 and codesplice like this.
  4. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Yep, that'll do it!

I think that I had seen some cheap TRS -> TRRS adapters somewhere that would probably resolve this issue without requiring a different set of headphones.

Google Pixel XL Forum

The Google Pixel XL release date was October 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 821 processor, and 3450mAh battery.

October 2016
Release Date
Reviews