• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Using Headphone Jack Causes OS Issues

Hi,
This problem has been happening for the last 2-3 months intermittently, but has come back in a very annoying way recently.

Sometimes, when I plug in headphones / AUX cords into my Pixel XL, it causes weird issues, usually one or both of the following:
  • Google Assistant is called up, sometimes 3 or 4x in rapid succession
  • If there is music playing, music will either pause and play rapidly, or skip / go back multiple songs in quick succession
This has occurred on 2 different pairs of headphones (which I've had no problems with when using with other devices) as well as my car's AUX chord (which I've also tested with other devices).

Usually, the phone is not being touched while these issues occur.

Any help, explanation, or possible fixes would be greatly appreciated.
(I'm running the latest version of Android with no custom launchers and no root)

First check to see if there's anything stuck inside the headphone jack. Shine a flashlight down in there and look for any debris. You might also use a bit of compressed air to knock anything loose.

How many conductor rings are on the end of the headphones / aux cords that you're using? The phone expects four conductors (TRRS):
trrs-diagram1.jpg

If the cable connection has less than four conductors then you sometimes wind up with shorted signals on the phone side, and those shorts get interpreted as if you were pressing buttons on an inline remote.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
First check to see if there's anything stuck inside the headphone jack. Shine a flashlight down in there and look for any debris. You might also use a bit of compressed air to knock anything loose.

How many conductor rings are on the end of the headphones / aux cords that you're using? The phone expects four conductors (TRRS):
View attachment 139954

If the cable connection has less than four conductors then you sometimes wind up with shorted signals on the phone side, and those shorts get interpreted as if you were pressing buttons on an inline remote.

I do not currently have access to the other connectors I was using, but the current one causing the issue is TRS. Looking at my other headphones that haven't been causing me issues, they both TRRS... this is likely the issue. Thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones