• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Using Netarchy kernel on Fresh 3.2... Insane battery drain...

I just charged my stock battery to full, in the phone, with my previously mentioned setup. Made a 10 minute phone call. It was at 79 after. I'm sure it's because I wiped battery stats before I used my 3000mah battery up, then put the stock in. Something must be off. This is why the 3000 sucks. It takes 12 hours to charge correctly and I have to put the stock in the phone during that time, which probably messes up the calibration. I'm lost on what to do.

Upvote 0
I just charged my stock battery to full, in the phone, with my previously mentioned setup. Made a 10 minute phone call. It was at 79 after. I'm sure it's because I wiped battery stats before I used my 3000mah battery up, then put the stock in. Something must be off. This is why the 3000 sucks. It takes 12 hours to charge correctly and I have to put the stock in the phone during that time, which probably messes up the calibration. I'm lost on what to do.

The 300 mah takes 12hrs to charge? Hmm from under 10% to 100% with stock it may take at most 2-2.5 hrs for mine to charge. And your stock battery went from 100% to 79% after a 10 min phone call? Something is not right. What are your sync settings? Do you have set cpu? if so what are your settings. Do you have google talk set to auto log in, and what about facebook? Also, when you go to sleep, put phone in airplane mode, fully charged, you will not get any call or texts and leave it on. When you wake up, look at battery stats and if there is a drastic change try disabling certian items until you find what is draining your battery.

Upvote 0
I don't have any lingering problems on the phone or draining issues. The last 2 nights I've dropped zero percent sleeping with 3g on. This is just a one time random issue based on calibration stats, I'm sure. It's just funny. I've deleted all facebook, twitter, friendstream crap long ago. Always had all that stuff you mentioned off..from day one. Never had an awake issue or anything. It's all because of the confusion on calibration between swapping 3000's and 1500's. It's not ideal. And the external charger from ebay takes 12 hours to charge the 3000, not from the phone. However, that seems ridiculous. But...it's the only way to truly get a full charge. There is no comparison between external charging and internal phone charging. I get an extra hour most days.

Upvote 0
I don't have any lingering problems on the phone or draining issues. The last 2 nights I've dropped zero percent sleeping with 3g on. This is just a one time random issue based on calibration stats, I'm sure. It's just funny. I've deleted all facebook, twitter, friendstream crap long ago. Always had all that stuff you mentioned off..from day one. Never had an awake issue or anything. It's all because of the confusion on calibration between swapping 3000's and 1500's. It's not ideal. And the external charger from ebay takes 12 hours to charge the 3000, not from the phone. However, that seems ridiculous. But...it's the only way to truly get a full charge. There is no comparison between external charging and internal phone charging. I get an extra hour most days.

I only have the stock 1500 battery, so i can not say but with battery left, i have free and pro, it gives you options for different batteries and their calibration. Maybe try that

Upvote 0
Ok tonight running Fresh 3.2's stock kernel (fresh toast??) with owidget underclocking to min speed when idle, the phone drained 10% per hr while idle.

Any guides/links to how to restore your phone to 100% factory WITH security enabled? My goal is to take the phone in for maintenance and possibly get a replacement battery.

Is this the HTC Reset? (will this also fix up the bootloader?) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=746705

Upvote 0
Ok tonight running Fresh 3.2's stock kernel (fresh toast??) with owidget underclocking to min speed when idle, the phone drained 10% per hr while idle.

Any guides/links to how to restore your phone to 100% factory WITH security enabled? My goal is to take the phone in for maintenance and possibly get a replacement battery.

Is this the HTC Reset? (will this also fix up the bootloader?) Pojoman vs. HTC - The race of the "delayed" 2.2 software fix. - xda-developers

OCwidget will NOT work with the stock HTC kernel so setting a screen off frequency is absolutely useless. You need perflock disabled in order to take advantage of the underclocking and overclocking abilities. SetCPU has an option to do this within its menu, OCwidget does not. All modified kernels have perflock permanently disabled.

Upvote 0
OCwidget will NOT work with the stock HTC kernel so setting a screen off frequency is absolutely useless. You need perflock disabled in order to take advantage of the underclocking and overclocking abilities. SetCPU has an option to do this within its menu, OCwidget does not. All modified kernels have perflock permanently disabled.

Thanks! Will keep this in mind.

Upvote 0
I have been unplugged since 7:30 this am, and am showing 94% battery left with about 2 total hrs of calls today and some mild surfing, so far GREAT LIFE!

Ok. Can you please indicate which exact versions of what you have? Yes I seen your signature.

Which netarchy link for a zip did you use?

Regular Fresh Rom?

Did you flash the rom, then kernel before even booting?

Did you install setcpu afterwards?

Can I have your nandroid file :cool:?

Your setup is probably exactly what I want. Scratch that, you give me 1/2 of your battery life and I'm game. You are not using the extended battery are you?

Upvote 0
Ok. Can you please indicate which exact versions of what you have? Yes I seen your signature.

Which netarchy link for a zip did you use?

Regular Fresh Rom?

Did you flash the rom, then kernel before even booting?

Did you install setcpu afterwards?

Can I have your nandroid file :cool:?

Your setup is probably exactly what I want. Scratch that, you give me 1/2 of your battery life and I'm game. You are not using the extended battery are you?

I am using fresh 3.2 rom

I am using Revision 4.1.9.1-CFS BETA - Fresh Compatible

1. I flashed fresh 3.2 when it first came out for donors. Kept stock kernel for a while
2. flashed netarchy Revision 4.1.8-bfs edition - Fresh3 Compatible about a week later
3. Used set cpu to underclock with profiles and used the select device to get the right settings

**WIPE CACHE AND DALVIK-CACHE BEFORE FLASHING KERNEL

Decided to try Revision 4.1.9.1-CFS BETA - Fresh Compatible, disabled my profiles, rebooted into recovery, wiped batery stats, flashed kernel rebooted, calibrated battery with the variation steps, and ran with it.

I do have the stock battery and get great battery life. I use juice defender as well, but dont think it really does anything.

After i flashed new kernel, i set my cpu to 989 and min to 240 set on boot.

My phone does not seem slow and works great no lags and am getting about t1 speeds on 3g with pri 1.77

Let me know if you need any more info.

Reactions: GrandMasterBirt
Upvote 0
I did pretty well with the stock battery yesterday after installing the suggested Battery Left. Very cool. I made it from 9 pm last night to about 3 pm today with lots of streaming and bluetooth. Maybe the best I've had so far. I wiped stats before I drained too. Fresh rom with netarchy .9 bfs. Though now I have switched to CFS because any BFS kernel causes my rockplayer to play choppy videos.

Upvote 0
I am using fresh 3.2 rom

I am using Revision 4.1.9.1-CFS BETA - Fresh Compatible

1. I flashed fresh 3.2 when it first came out for donors. Kept stock kernel for a while
2. flashed netarchy Revision 4.1.8-bfs edition - Fresh3 Compatible about a week later
3. Used set cpu to underclock with profiles and used the select device to get the right settings

**WIPE CACHE AND DALVIK-CACHE BEFORE FLASHING KERNEL

Decided to try Revision 4.1.9.1-CFS BETA - Fresh Compatible, disabled my profiles, rebooted into recovery, wiped batery stats, flashed kernel rebooted, calibrated battery with the variation steps, and ran with it.

I do have the stock battery and get great battery life. I use juice defender as well, but dont think it really does anything.

After i flashed new kernel, i set my cpu to 989 and min to 240 set on boot.

My phone does not seem slow and works great no lags and am getting about t1 speeds on 3g with pri 1.77

Let me know if you need any more info.

I just tried the Baked #5 kernel. Battery drain is insane. I thought HAVS + SetCPU = bad?

All kernels I tried from the netarchy caused insane-o battery drainage. Though the fps was wonderful. I was running 3.2 fresh.

ALSO note: always cleared all caches and already tried the alternate method of battery reconditioning.

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I am on to something. This might be a problem with Amun Ra. When I clear the Dalvik cache all hell breaks lose. EVEN the stock kernel drains battery like mad.

Flashing a FULL recovery using a PC32IMG.zip from the rooting process fixes the issue but the phone is wiped.

My plan:

1) Do a full wipe using the method mentioned. Test battery drainage.

2) Recover the nandroid image I made when everything was working right. Test battery drainage.

3) Flash the netarchy kernel without wiping cache. Test battery drainage.

Lets see what happens...

If not successful I will try the clockwork recovery image with same steps.

---

The first time I installed Fresh 3.2 I did not clear any caches. It worked fine. Only when I read about the clearing of the Dalvik caches and doing the work did all this begin. Currently at (2).

The only thing I did not do is wipe battery stats. What is the implication of this? How should it be done correctly? (as in can i just wipe them at any time even if the battery is not fully charged, etc)

--

Edit:

Looks like it might be failing at step 2...

Edit 2:

Just charged battery to 100% will leave on overnight in idle mode with setcpu underclocking on screen off to min mhz. Will see tomorrow what the battery life is like. So far 30 min 0% drain. Currently at (2). In 10 hours I had 20% total battery drain in idle. I would say this is a successful run. Now for (3).

Edit 3:

So I did step 3. The battery drain is not insane. I am going to test it today to see what happens over some long term idle and heavy usage. Its no longer doing insane energy drain. But now I want to see if I can get it to a good energy usage. Trying netarchy 4.1.9.1 - CFS

Upvote 0
Ok so, I been doing tests. Netarchy 4.1.9.1 cfs did not work for me. It started draining like 5-10% per hr. I flashed the Baked #5 kernel and just had an hr with 1% drain. I will continue testing with this kernel. No Dalvik wipe.

As a side note I updated the Radio which cleared my CACHE. No negative effect on battery life. Looks like clearing the Dalvik cache is what perma-breaks the phone until a full reset of everything.

Thanks for your signature wake69, I am going to install Fresh 3.3.0.1 if all goes well with these tests, and then test the stock kernel vs baked #5.

Upvote 0
Ok so, I been doing tests. Netarchy 4.1.9.1 cfs did not work for me. It started draining like 5-10% per hr. I flashed the Baked #5 kernel and just had an hr with 1% drain. I will continue testing with this kernel. No Dalvik wipe.

As a side note I updated the Radio which cleared my CACHE. No negative effect on battery life. Looks like clearing the Dalvik cache is what perma-breaks the phone until a full reset of everything.

Thanks for your signature wake69, I am going to install Fresh 3.3.0.1 if all goes well with these tests, and then test the stock kernel vs baked #5.

Are you using clockwork or ra recovery, clearing dalvik-cache has never given me problems

Upvote 0
Who knows what the cause is at this rate. I modified too many variables too fast without testing.

Rate of battery drain increased pretty heavily after 1st hr.

The following are possible causes:

CACHE cleared <-- this happened when I updated radio
DALVIK CACHE cleared <-- I didn't do this, might be implicit in a new kernel
Updated Kernel without 100% charge.

So who knows. I'd love to get some kernel devs in here to answer the questions, but I'll keep trying with different setups.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones