• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using phone as Bluetooth Receiver?

Is it possible to use my phone (Motorola Photon) as a bluetooth receiver? Here is what I would like to do.

I ride a motorcycle with a full face helmet and have GPS (Garmin Zumo 660) mounted on the handlebars which has the ability to send its audio over Bluetooth. I would like to be able to connect my phone to the GPS and drop it in my pocket. Then have ear bus go under my helmet so that I can hear the directions. Is it even possible to use the phone this way?

Thanks
Phil

Is it possible to use my phone (Motorola Photon) as a bluetooth receiver? Here is what I would like to do.

I ride a motorcycle with a full face helmet and have GPS (Garmin Zumo 660) mounted on the handlebars which has the ability to send its audio over Bluetooth. I would like to be able to connect my phone to the GPS and drop it in my pocket. Then have ear bus go under my helmet so that I can hear the directions. Is it even possible to use the phone this way?

Thanks
Phil
You are trying to do it backwards.

Hard wire or bluetooth your headphones to the intercom, connect the intercom to the zumo gps, let Zumo BT to the phone.

see this link, it will explain how to do every you want.
EdSets GPS Products

and this link will allow you to see a Forum Index with over 5,000 m/c topics indexed....
It has a lot of links to solutions that different folks have done with m/c helmets.

I wrote this index so hope you enjoy it

. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...-forum-index-help-you-find-threads-forum.html

Reactions: LoopyD
Upvote 0
THOUGH, my solution is a bit different. I wish to use my bluetooth as a receiver for my computer. Is it possible to do this using dial up connections in Windows 7? I'm a bit confused. I heard it makes the drivers on your phone see the handset as a bluetooth receiver inside Windows. I have a broadcomm USB receiver (Pluggable) so you can imagine the problems and why I want this workaround.

Upvote 0
bluetooth-driver-properties-png.82054

Correct driver configuration. Device appears listed and started inside of device manager.

bluetooth-device-refuse-connection-png.82055

Bluetooth speaker refuses connection, icon up top momentarily is enabled, then becomes greyed out.

Whilst the drivers install after device connection for the first time, Windows cannot seem to locate the Bluetooth Peripheral drivers the program installs. Installing them manually fails.

Attachments

• bluetooth driver properties.png
    bluetooth driver properties.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 1,915
  • bluetooth device refuse connection.png
    bluetooth device refuse connection.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 1,932
Upvote 0
Hmmmm, I have just this week been reading up on what the S5 will and won't do with Bluetooth.

I use a Blue Parrott Trucker's headset nearly all day long. Unfortunately, Samsung chose to only connect the BT audio to the phone's functions. I can't hear the other app's audio via BT.

The GPS apps on the phone output their audio thru the phone's internal speaker and I cannot hear that with my full face helmet on... so I am looking for a way to get around that little problem... ATM it seems that I will be just connecting to my bike's intercom system which will give me CB (whoopee!) and the FM/AM radio and the passenger's intercom audio. again, like you, not what I want. I want the GPS to be in my ears.

I have not as yet tried to connect my phone to my PC via Bluetooth. I noticed a popup window the other day on the PC saying that the S5 was asking permission to connect.

To the best of my knowledge, the S5 as other Samsung phones do, will allow you to have a mobile hotspot WiFi that is fed from the carrier's DATA LTE channel. That's not what you want, and I don't think Samsung is going to incorporate what you want.

Upvote 0
It's broadcomm, their pluggable USB adapters have issues. And the broadcomm installer contains some buggy bloatware software. I just want the filters and baseline drivers. I use Digital Audio workstations and the software interferes with ASIO and locks the sound card and mixer so I cannot use them.

Further, once that happens and I cancel out the services, the device loses AO2P mode and defaults to Telephony, completely killing the audio quality and in most cases crashing my DAWs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones