• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using wallpaper elements as "icons"

mutts

Apr 19, 2011
I see in a lot of themes, people have used an element of the background image as an "icon".

I know about using a transparent icon to make the background element clickable, but I wonder how you go about making sure that the background element lines up with someplace that you can position the transparent icon.

Am I explaining this right?

I use photoshop and place a grid over the screen that helps me line things up when creating the wallpaper. You need to determine how many rows and columns to use and split it up over the size of your screen. Dont forget to subtract out the bottom area for the dock and top area for the task bar if you are showing it.

Or trial and error works too.

Upvote 0
I see in a lot of themes, people have used an element of the background image as an "icon".

I know about using a transparent icon to make the background element clickable, but I wonder how you go about making sure that the background element lines up with someplace that you can position the transparent icon.

Am I explaining this right?
There is an app in the market called Desktop Visualizer that may benefit you with this. Have you tried it yet?

Reactions: mutts
Upvote 0
I have used/am using Desktop Visualizer (at least at a rudimentary level) but it doesn't allow for free form icon placement, so you still need to have the wallpaper element positiond properly.

But thanks for the replies, guess I'll have to try and come up with a template.
Check out this thread, it has tons of help with getting the proper sizes and spacing with regard to Desktop Visualizer and the different screen sizes. Many of the posts include pre-made icons and icon dimensions. Paulmz has bee a huge help in that thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones