• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vaccines and COVID anxiety

My wife got hit with a third round of covid. This time along with covid, she has the flu and strep throat. She's in the hospital. I said third round because back in October/November of 2019. The wife, the daughter and I all got really sick and the symptoms were almost identical to covid symptoms when covid became a major issue in 2020.
Both the wife and I agreed that for roughly a week maybe ten days we could barely move. I was on the road and I remember absolutely struggling.
But then one morning it was over.
The second round was my last home time. The wife had been under the weather for a few days. We went to the emergency room and learned she was in the end stages of another covid incident. Because she was so far along they (the medical staff) decided that it was best just to let it (covid) run its course. My wife drank plenty of orange juice, water, took Tylenol for the pain and slept.
Something else she (the wife) told me was the covid pill /medicine they gave her made her jaw tremble. She tried taking it twice but kept throwing it back up.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
My wife got hit with a third round of covid. This time along with covid, she has the flu and strep throat. She's in the hospital. I said third round because back in October/November of 2019. The wife, the daughter and I all got really sick and the symptoms were almost identical to covid symptoms when covid became a major issue in 2020.
Both the wife and I agreed that for roughly a week maybe ten days we could barely move. I was on the road and I remember absolutely struggling.
The second round was my last home time. The wife had been under the weather for a few days. We went to the emergency room and learned she was in the end stages of another covid incident. Because she was so far along they (the medical staff) decided that it was best just to let it (covid) run its course. My wife drank plenty of orange juice, water, took Tylenol for the pain and slept.
Something else she (the wife) told me was the covid pill /medicine they gave her made her jaw tremble. She tried taking it twice but kept throwing it back up.
Ouch! That's why I have my gloves and my N-100 mask.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
wow i am sorry that your wife is still in the hospital. i wish her to get well soon. one of my clients just got back from a month long bout of covid. he was lucky cuz the docs said he had long covid which at the moment there is no cure or treatment. this guy has battled cancer and survived and he currently has MS (Multiple Sclerosis). he is a fighter that is for sure.

Upvote 0
wow i am sorry that your wife is still in the hospital. i wish her to get well soon. one of my clients just got back from a month long bout of covid. he was lucky cuz the docs said he had long covid which at the moment there is no cure or treatment. this guy has battled cancer and survived and he currently has MS (Multiple Sclerosis). he is a fighter that is for sure.
I'm guessing that his long covid is because of his body being weakend from cancer and multiple sclerosis.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that his long covid is because of his body being weakend from cancer and multiple sclerosis.
most people who get it still have it. and yes its probably due to other issues. he is lucky in that it lasted only 30 days.....very lucky.

one of my favorite youtubers has long covid:

Upvote 0
Not necessarily: most long covid sufferers do not have factors like that (of course most people who catch covid don't either). We literally don't know why it has long-term effects for some while for many it does not.

Whether those factor increase the probability of long covid I don't know - you'd need proper stats and a proper controlled analysis to answer that. But even if they do you can't actually know whether they were relevant for any particular case.

Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Damn, sorry to hear that. Hope she's out soon.

Upvote 0
Seems the pro/anti-vax insanity is rearing it's ugly head again in the US. Presidential Candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is being bashed for his skeptical views on vaccinations, views which he is not making part of his campaign. What he is making part of his campaign is ending forever wars, healing the divide in America, standing up to big tech, etc. But do his critics talk about any of those important issues? Nope, it's just "anti-vaxer Robert F. Kennedy Jr.".

As I said, both the pro and the anti-vaxers are nuts! I find it refreshing that, while Kennedy has his views on vaccinations, he's not making a big fuss about it. Instead, he's talking about healing the divide.

Upvote 0
sorry but i do not want a president who does not believe in science. i do not want a president who does not believe in vaccinations. there is no factual evidence that vaccines causes autism. anyone who does not believe that is an idiot. and i do not want an idiot for a president.

plus he is running as a democrat. and Biden looks to run again. i doubt the DNC will primary this election.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
there is no factual evidence that vaccines causes autism.
Oh, he doesn't believe the Wakefield fraud does he? It's a matter of record that he falsified his research for personal financial gain, which is why he is no longer entitled to call himself "doctor" or practice medicine. He makes a living out of American conspiracy theorists these days, but it takes absolutely zero research to find out the facts about him. So I would say that for a candidate for high office accepting this stuff is arguably worse that idiocy, since it shows a lack of diligence, critical thinking and respect for evidence in a matter that's relevant for public policy (and this stuff isn't just "a matter of personal choice": for one thing parents make the choices for kids, not for themselves; and for another vaccination relies in part of herd immunity to stop outbreaks, so your decision affects other people, which means you have a responsibility to understand the consequences. Wakefield and those who were suckered by him demonstrably killed children by spreading their false fear-mongering, which in Wakefield's case had a personal financial motivation. I'm generally a pretty forgiving person, but I've never seen anything from him that suggests he deserves it.)

And for the record, I read his original paper when it was first published (before the fraud was uncovered and the paper withdrawn from publication), and speaking as an academic scientist I would have failed any undergraduate paper that presented such weak "evidence" in support of a thesis and used a methodology so open to producing false results and so totally lacking in controls. And the medics I spoke to afterwards (I have friends and family in fields like paediatrics, epidemiology and medical statistics) were even more scathing. So even had it not been shown to be a fraud I would have no hesitation in saying that it was, to use the technical term, "crap". And of course nobody was ever able to reproduce the result, which is also a massive red flag.

So would I call someone who accepts this "an idiot"? In general life no, they could just be ignorant, or subject to peer pressure. But I will say that an unwillingness to look critically at the facts and accept what they say, on a matter that's relevant for public policy, is not a great qualification for office. Especially when it's something where there is no scientific debate whatsoever.

Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
believe in vaccinations.
Careful there! "Believe in" is the language of faith, not science. The pro-vax nuts believe in vaccinations, and believe that anyone who has any questions or concerns when it comes to vaccinations is scum. Don't be like them. Believe in your religion, believe in your friends, believe in your family. But do not believe in vaccinations or science! Because if you "believe in" it, then what you believe in is not science.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Careful there! "Believe in" is the language of faith, not science. The pro-vax nuts believe in vaccinations, and believe that anyone who has any questions or concerns when it comes to vaccinations is scum. Don't be like them. Believe in your religion, believe in your friends, believe in your family. But do not believe in vaccinations or science! Because if you "believe in" it, then what you believe in is not science.
ok poor choice of words....point well taken:

well i want my politicians to appreciate and understand that science is not political. that science should be used to explain how things work regardless of politics. i want a politician to understand that vaccines work and that science can back them up.

i do not want a politician to BELIEVE in pseudoscience. it is not science and most pseudoscience BELIEFS have been debunked by science.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I would certainly prefer Kennedey not buy that vaccines cause autism. But considering how many American politicians believe that a woman can have a penis, and that there are more than two genders: That makes Kennedy look extremely pro-science in comparison! Which only highlights the sorry state of scientific literacy in my country, the United States.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones