• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Various issues after forced "factory reset"

Is it software or hardware?

• Software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hardware

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aesthetics

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
So, my Note 4 has been having various issues up to a point where it is almost unusable. So, a week or two ago I pull my phone out of my pocket and notice it was at a "BIOS" screen and it immediately flashed to resetting itself. The phone turns on and it has reset to factory conditions. My phone starting redownloading all my apps which took hours to get roughly half of my apps back.

Since then I started getting lag on my device. It will be minimal typing delay, unlocking, etc. Now it is something I have to struggle with. It starts with unlocking the phone. I will hit a physical button to wake up the screen and it will not respond right away or it will go transparent black with the lock screen behind it. The screen is unresponsive at that point. After waiting and trying to unlock it again it will then unlock.

When you have to use the notification bar or apps sometimes they will barely open, sometimes it will take multiple tries. What happens fairly often is the phone stops responding and then goes right to the lock screen without the screen ever turning off.

When inside apps the controls are heavily laggy. Typing is atrocious, you can type sentences and then they will populate 10 seconds after you have typed them, often duplicating phrases in the sentence. In different games, you will have to do an action three times and wait for it to finally happen; e.g., swiping in "Candy Crush" type games and dragging the shot line in Bubblewitch Saga. I frequently use Spotify and Slacker. They will play "fine" in the background but opening the app and navigating the apps are next to impossible. I also frequently get the "App X: Not Responding" with wait, report, close despite not using the app or when I am using the app it is working fine. I hit wait and continue using the app as normal.

Notifications are also hit and miss now. Specifically Snapchat, despite verifying the settings, is sometimes showing in the bar.

I have tried restarting multiple times, removing the battery pack, clearing the phones cache through the "BIOS", clearing app caches, deleting apps I have downloaded since the issues began arising, entered developer mode and changed animation scale, turned down background apps. None of these have given any difference other than my phone is getting worse.

I don't know if I should do another factory reset or if this is a hardware failing issue and I should just use my insurance to replace my phone.

Last edited:
I once did a factory reset...never again. If you're near a Best Buy, let one of the Samsung persons there do their thing. Otherwise send back to Samsung....never factory reset. These internet 'experts' can really get u in trouble.

JM
What are talking about, exactly?

No factory data reset has ever broken a Samsung or HTC phone - it's why it's a user option, it's why carriers recommend it - and it's the first thing your Best Buy "expert" is likely to do.

OP, do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
What are talking about, exactly?

No factory data reset has ever broken a Samsung or HTC phone - it's why it's a user option, it's why carriers recommend it - and it's the first thing your Best Buy "expert" is likely to do.

OP, do that.
What I'm talking about is hours trying to get ur phone back to its original configuration.

JM

Upvote 0
There are a number of backup methods to alleviate some of the pain. Helium Backup is one. Rooted users can back up more.

Some devices can let a user clear just the system cache through an option after booting into the bootloader.

Google will back up your apps (not data), and you can use it to sync your contacts and calendars.

If you don't do any of those things, yes, setup after a factory data reset can take longer.

Upvote 0
Yeah, have to agree. Factory reset is generally a good thing. Even Samsung recommend it on occasion. I always do one after a software update.

Your Samsung account backs up most of your settings. Google as soon as you log back in starts downloading all your apps. Some might need a manual download but can't see why it's taking you hours.

I would suggest going into Kies and actually reloading the software from Samsung. I can't recall the tab name but it will reboot your device with newly downloaded software. That can take a while dependent on WiFi speed.

Obviously do at your own discretion. If you are more comfortable taking it in to someone by all means.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones