• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ann_fl

Aug 1, 2010
Ive had my galaxy s for about two weeks now. The phone is awesome. BUT, it has issues. Issues Im getting sick of dealing with. This was supposed to be a upgrade for me and I feel like its a downgrade. The phone lags. I can deal with maybe once or twice a day. But, no this happens constantly and the keyboard (I type and swype fast) cant keep up it lags , apps close out, marketplace slow, dropped calls, etc. Im so disapointed :(
If no updates then I will pop my sim back into my iphone 3g
I didnt spend almost 500 just to experience problems that I didnt experience before Like I said I like the phone but the lagging I cant deal with :mad:
I know Im not alone

Ive had my galaxy s for about two weeks now. The phone is awesome. BUT, it has issues. Issues Im getting sick of dealing with. This was supposed to be a upgrade for me and I feel like its a downgrade. The phone lags. I can deal with maybe once or twice a day. But, no this happens constantly and the keyboard (I type and swype fast) cant keep up it lags , apps close out, marketplace slow, dropped calls, etc. Im so disapointed :(
I didnt spend almost 500 just to experience problems that I didnt experience before Like I said I like the phone but the lagging I cant deal with :mad:
I know Im not alone

hey i posted a thread about the keyboard lagging, cool to see i'm not the only one with this issue. i posted it today in the vibrant thread.

Upvote 0
I know Im not alone

Easy fixes add on an app called launcher pro or adw, Install better keyboard, and you should be fine but in regards to dropped calls thats more of a service area issue.

Upvote 0
Easy fixes add on an app called launcher pro or adw, Install better keyboard, and you should be fine but in regards to dropped calls thats more of a service area issue.

Not really, some of the phones just suck more than a two dollar whore when the fleet is in town.

I have the misfortune of testing two vibrant, one is always dropping calls. If I have both phones on the desk and do a conference call to both phones the one vibrant that has been dropping calls always drop the call. The service area is the same, the phone dropped every call from here SLC to SNA. The quality of the phones varies greatly from piss poor to poor.

EDIT:
And installing the app is not an easy fix, it is a poor band-aid. Getting a Droid X, My Touch, Evo etc is a fix.

Upvote 0
Not really, some of the phones just suck more than a two dollar whore when the fleet is in town.

I have the misfortune of testing two vibrant, one is always dropping calls. If I have both phones on the desk and do a conference call to both phones the one vibrant that has been dropping calls always drop the call. The service area is the same, the phone dropped every call from here SLC to SNA. The quality of the phones varies greatly from piss poor to poor.

EDIT:
And installing the app is not an easy fix, it is a poor band-aid. Getting a Droid X, My Touch, Evo etc is a fix.

I agree its not a service issue. Ive never had so many dropped calls. There are only two places that my iphone would drop and thats when I enter my subdivision and the back road up the street from me. This phone is constantly dropping calls. I dont talk on the phone much but when I do I expect to make it through the call.
The phone has potential but they need to fix the bugs.

Upvote 0

EDIT:

I agree, the quality differs from phone to phone. I had a vibrant that had zero gps. I exchanged it for this one. This one has a bluish screen. The other didn't. This one has blacked out on me once, the other didn't at all.i have had zero lag with either and I swype very fast. Apps open fine. I think either you need an exchange or you have an app that is messing up your phone function.

Upvote 0
I agree, the quality differs from phone to phone. I had a vibrant that had zero gps. I exchanged it for this one. This one has a bluish screen. The other didn't. This one has blacked out on me once, the other didn't at all.i have had zero lag with either and I swype very fast. Apps open fine. I think either you need an exchange or you have an app that is messing up your phone function.

yeah, there are several of us who need an exchange or for them to release and update
its def. not an app because I reset the phone and still have the problem

Upvote 0

Your new vibrant has a blue tint while your old one didn't?

Upvote 0
There is another thread talking about the blue tint thing somewhere, but I've never noticed it. As for lag again I've never had any problem, only the gps issue. I'm thinking more then likely you might have some app thats misbehaving. The only time I've had lag(and I know I just I dont, but hold on a sec) is when the phone was seriously busy, such as installing an app or running some heavy download/upload.

I know people are starting to tout the multitasking buzzword, but really only pc level hardware is truly capable of multitasking at a speed fast enough and with enough resources that you don't notice its busy switching between tasks(ie a cpu can only do one thing at a time, but it can do them frakkin fast). As a geek I know when the phone is running as it should be and when I'm really taxing it and thus I'm a bit more forgiving.

Upvote 0
I know Im not alone

Other than the dropped calls this sounds just like my phone. Today it really pissed me off though. The phone completely froze up. Nothing but a black screen and nothing but pulling the battery worked to get it up and running again. Then 20 minutes later it did the exact same thing again!:mad: Both times it was when I was trying to make a phone call.

Then there's the whole issue I'm having with keeping a connection in the Market, on the internet, and even apps that need to connect to the internet not working right. I don't know how many times I get the "Connection failed" message popping up not only on WIFI, but 3G too. My bank's app won't work right on this phone, but it works fine on my wife's old G1 running Android 2.2. Of course let's not forget the GPS doesn't work at all unless you place the phone in the middle of a field on a sunny day and stay at least 4' away from it. It makes me really happy to know that a G1 she bought off Craigslist a year ago for $80 works better than my new Vibrant.:mad:

My old Moto Cliq XT may have been running an outdated version of Android but at least it was stable. This Vibrant seems as stable as Zimbabwe currency to me now. Tomorrow I'm taking it back to Costco with the hopes of exchanging it for a newer build date. I don't think this will fix anything but at least I can get Samsung back a tiny bit for selling a phone that should have never been released in it's current buggy form. The fact that Samsung would release something as expensive as this knowing the problems it has really irks me. Even after these problems though I'm not giving up on this phone. I'll exchange it in the hopes a newer build date fixes at least some of the problems and then wait for Samsung to start releasing software fixes that hopefully fix the GPS and lost connection issues.

Upvote 0
I was in the same boat for the first two weeks and FINALLY went to the T-Mobile store for a replacement. The replacement phone (manufacture date 7/16) runs perfect! I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it is like a completely different phone. No lag, GPS works, battery life is a good 30% better (same battery), just exactly like I thought this phone should be like...

I HIGHLY suggest getting a replacement, especially if you have a launch day phone.

Upvote 0
That is something to consider, Rick, exchanging the handset. I have zero problems w/ dropped calls, but my battery life could be better & my GPS still sucks, even after that "fix." At first I thought I could just wait, because I don't really use my GPS for navigation. However, it's really taking a toll on me when I try to use apps that require GPS to locate nearby places. As for the keyboard lag, I use the Android keyboard & have only noticed lag once, & that was right after having it speech-to-text a long paragraph.

Upvote 0
I'm exchanging my phone today because of not only all the problems I listed above, but a bunch of new problems that started just today!

yeah, some of us got stuck with crappy phones its not an "app misbehaving"
:rolleyes: its the phone misbehaving Ive been using smartphones way before iphone or androids came out so im familiar with what a phone should run like
and this is not it :) for those of you who are not having these problems then consider yourself lucky ......Im guessing some of us got stuck with a bad batch ;)
this has left a bad taste in my mouth I will probably place my phone on ebay and get something more reliable

Upvote 0
Vibrant owner for just over 1 week now, coming from 4 years of blackberry's - so I don't really have any prior android experience to measure against.

Overall I am extremely happy, impressed, and pretty much blown away by this phone. I am getting the lag, but only about once or twice a day for maybe 10 minutes - it seems to be pretty consistent in terms of when it is happening so my (uneducated) guess is that the phone is running background tasks.

Does the Android OS do things like running cron and such?

I get the same problems with connection to the market place / facebook / RSS and other web related tasks, but this only seems to occur when I am *just about* but *not quite* out of range of a WIFI signal (example, my home router is in the basement, if I am 2 floors up in the bedroom or out on the front porch) - I'm guessing when WIFI is on it is the default connection, if the phone drops WIFI then has trouble quickly reestablishing the connect to the 3G network.

It seems it doesn't just seamlessly transition over to 3G. Again, my uneducated guesstimation there. When in these situations I just shut down WIFI and reload the page and everything seems to work fine.

I was unable to connect to satellites, but the XDA GPS fix seems to have fixed that for me and 'm able to use GPS apps - but this is my first GPS enabled device so again, I do not have prior experience to measure against.

My only real gripe is with the native mail app - I have 3 personal accounts on my own domain - and there are times when I know there are emails sitting on my server because I've logged in and checked - yet refreshing my android inbox for any of these accounts doesn't pull the mail down. This actually verges on pretty uncool for me as I, like others, am using this phone for work as well as my personal enjoyment.

It would also be cool if the phone loaded the entire email as opposed to just the header, or if there were an option to just delete mail without opening/loading.

I haven't searched yet regarding the mail issue I am having, I've just been too busy, but hopefully there is some sort of fix.

So, over all yes I have been experience some quirks and bugs but I really love this phone. The mail issue does worry me a good deal - that's one thing I can say for my blackberry's is that they handled mail extremely well.

Also, I should mention, I'm a graphics designer, when it comes to my preference for desktop computers I'm a die hard Apple user (not a fan boy) - even though I wanted one I never bought an iPhone because the deals from TMO are just too good to walk away from and it made zero sense to go over to ATT.

Do I feel like I am missing out, settling, or otherwise wishing I had an iPhone?

Not in the least.

The more I learned about Android the less I dreamed of the day the iPhone would open up to other carriers - and eventually I forgot about the iPhone and dreamed of the day Tmo would get a high end Android phone.

This is just an amazingly wicked device in my opinion and I am beyond stoked that Tmo added it to their line up.

Upvote 0
I've used and played with A LOT of phones this week. I mean I have been ridiculously obsessed. I've played with:
-Droid X
-Droid Incredible
-IPhone 4 (even bought it and returned it)
-Mytouch slide (a few weeks ago I owned for 2 weeks)
-HTC EVO

These other phones have a lot to offer but in my personal opinion the Vibrant stands taller than all of them except maybe the EVO. And it has been so riddled with problems I'd be scared to touch it. Honestly though, they ALL have problems. It sucks, it really does. But you pretty much just have to decide what you are willing to live with. Hop on any of the forums and you'll see what problems await you. I think probably the Incredible has the best track record but you'll be taking a serious screen downgrade and the battery life is known to be horrendous. I've decided I am going to have to settle for imperfection and if I am going to settle, it's going to be with the Vibrant. I'd probably try the EVO if my family weren't completely over my OCD phone compulsions LOL. But even if I tried it I think I'd still want to come back to the Vibrant. The super AMOLED is better than the LED and the Vibrant is a better size/weight for me. Anyway, the Vibrant is buggy but it is a good phone, and I think it's the best out there right now. If anyone gets something else and finds this is not the case, please update us!

Upvote 0
yeah, some of us got stuck with crappy phones its not an "app misbehaving"
:rolleyes: its the phone misbehaving Ive been using smartphones way before iphone or androids came out so im familiar with what a phone should run like
and this is not it :) for those of you who are not having these problems then consider yourself lucky ......Im guessing some of us got stuck with a bad batch ;)
this has left a bad taste in my mouth I will probably place my phone on ebay and get something more reliable

There is always going to be some bad ones, its just how it is when you consider the volume of production for all the components that go into these devices. I received one that worked perfect but had the blue screen issue. 3 minutes on the phone with TMobile and they were overnighting me a new one to replace it.

So you'd rather put it up on EBay then spend 3 minutes getting a replacement that could very well fix most, if not all of your problems?

Upvote 0
I've used and played with A LOT of phones this week. I mean I have been ridiculously obsessed. I've played with:
-Droid X
-Droid Incredible
-IPhone 4 (even bought it and returned it)
-Mytouch slide (a few weeks ago I owned for 2 weeks)
-HTC EVO

These other phones have a lot to offer but in my personal opinion the Vibrant stands taller than all of them except maybe the EVO. And it has been so riddled with problems I'd be scared to touch it. Honestly though, they ALL have problems. It sucks, it really does. But you pretty much just have to decide what you are willing to live with. Hop on any of the forums and you'll see what problems await you. I think probably the Incredible has the best track record but you'll be taking a serious screen downgrade and the battery life is known to be horrendous. I've decided I am going to have to settle for imperfection and if I am going to settle, it's going to be with the Vibrant. I'd probably try the EVO if my family weren't completely over my OCD phone compulsions LOL. But even if I tried it I think I'd still want to come back to the Vibrant. The super AMOLED is better than the LED and the Vibrant is a better size/weight for me. Anyway, the Vibrant is buggy but it is a good phone, and I think it's the best out there right now. If anyone gets something else and finds this is not the case, please update us!

I had the X for 15 days, for 13 of them I was convinced it was THE phone for me as it was awesome. Then I happened to see the Vibrant one day and said what the heck.. Lemme pick one up for a couple days to try it out.

I had every intention of returning it after messing with it for a few days but, by that same night I had packed up the X to return it and was placing an order over the phone with TMobile for Vibrants for my wife and I.

The only bug I have encountered was that the phone my wife received had a very strong blue tint, 3 or 4 minutes on the phone and a replacement was overnighted that works great!

Otherwise this is without a doubt the best phone I have ever used, and I've used A LOT! :D

Upvote 0

See this is exactly my problem with this phone. I shouldnt have to download a different keyboard or a new launcher. This freakin phone should work right out of the box. This phone is a huge dissapointment. :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones