• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] 1st time rooter...help on some questions please.

ymDroid

Apr 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
So i held off on rooting my Nexus mainly because I didn't want t flash internal memory (dumb i know).

But I just got a certified "like new" replacement from VZW. So i'm basically starting form scratch now. I had a few questions, and I was hoping that those of you that are much smarter than me could help...

1) I've read that I won't get OTA updates if I root and unlock the boot loader. Is this correct?

2) It it's not correct, can I root and unlock the boot loader, and not install a custom recovery or make mods until we receive the 4.04 update?

3) What's the easiest way to root or unlock the bootloader? Is the one click method I've read people trying really that simple?

4) Am I making sense at all, or do I sound like I have no idea what I'm doing?

Thanks in advance!

So i held off on rooting my Nexus mainly because I didn't want t flash internal memory (dumb i know).

But I just got a certified "like new" replacement from VZW. So i'm basically starting form scratch now. I had a few questions, and I was hoping that those of you that are much smarter than me could help...

Kind of fresh myself but........

1) I've read that I won't get OTA updates if I root and unlock the boot loader. Is this correct?
Most likely, my ROM "AOKP M2" and Kernel "Imoseyon Lean Kernel 1.10.0" doesn't even have the option in settings to look for updates anymore. If you unlock/root and do not flash a custom ROM or Kernel and still have the update option you may be offered the OTA and it may slip in. I think the developers take it out to keep it from updating.

2) If it's not correct, can I root and unlock the boot loader, and not install a custom recovery or make mods until we receive the 4.04 update?
Yes but look out for OTA's.

3) What's the easiest way to root or unlock the bootloader? Is the one click method I've read people trying really that simple?
Yes. Its more than one click but very nicely done. Just get the toolkit and read everything first.

4) Am I making sense at all, or do I sound like I have no idea what I'm doing?
YES, You sound just like me at first, and I am not long from being "At first Status"

May I suggest you root/unlock and install Rom Manager/Clockwork mod and use it to backup your freshly unmodified root/unlock. Then flash the Kang Project Milestone3 Rom. Its very stable and will protect you from involuntary OTA's. The kernel it comes with will be just fine.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ymDroid
Upvote 0
May I suggest you root/unlock and install Rom Manager/Clockwork mod and use it to backup your freshly unmodified root/unlock. Then flash the Kang Project Milestone3 Rom. Its very stable and will protect you from involuntary OTA's. The kernel it comes with will be just fine.

Thank you very much...It does seem like a lot, but I'm sure once I've done it a few times, it will be very easy.

1) By Rom Manager/Clockwork mod, do you mean the basic Clockwork recovery, correct?

2) Where do I find, the Kang Project Milesonte3 Rom?

Thank you again. I'm going to do exactly this. Root/unlock, and back it up the way this way.

Upvote 0
Your in the right thread, just go to the top of the list and see [ROM][AOKP][4.0.3] Milestone3, Build#22, & Mods (Updated 2/11/2012) (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)

The build numbers are regularly updated versions for testing and such. The M3 or Milestones are the Stable versions made from all the previous builds.

So basically you...

• Root/unlock. Download a ROM and its GAPPS and copy it to your internal storage root. I don't think you have to have Rom Manager at first.
  • Boot into recovery. With the phone off press and hold the power and volume up & down at the same time. Use the volume rocker to scroll & power button to select. And be patient. It may jump scroll and such, just move with care.

• GO TO BACK UP AND RESTORE AND MAKE A BACKUP!!

1. match MD5 of ROM and Gapps
    1. (recommended) wipe/data factory reset
    2. flash ROM
    3. flash Gapps
    4. reboot

You will like the extras in the settings menu under Rom Control.

Reactions: ymDroid
Upvote 0
Good Deal,

Your CWM backup file is in your phones Internal Storage(AKA SD Card)\clockworkmod folder. It will show up in a list when you open the app on the phone and go to Manage and Restore Backups. You can rename your backups but do not include spaces in the name. I put numbers in front of mine so the list will be in order, like 01.Feb13.M3-ROM.LeanKrnl-1.10.0. The next backup will begin with 02.
My first backup of my freshly unlocked and rooted phone is 00.Fresh-Root.

Be sure and read his install instructions. I believe he wants a factory reset. No problem, you have a backup.

1. Make sure you're on the latest version of CWM. Your are.
2. MAKE A NANDROID (A backup in CWM) Boot into recovery and do it there. Not in the phones menu.
3. Wipe data/factory reset in recovery -- a must if coming from a stock-based ROM. Boot into recovery and do it there. Not in the phones menu.
4. Fash ROM
5. Flash Gapps
6. Reboot

Be sure you have the ROM and the Gapps file on your SDCard. Easy to forget.
You want to flash the ROM and then the Gapps right after it and reboot system, let it load, and then some say to reboot again. Done.

Note: About the "booting into recovery and do it there. Not in the phones menu".
Some of the longtime Rooters swear by doing all that stuff in the recovery mode instead of in Rom Manager. I do the initial backup stuff in recovery and from there on out I use Rom Manager to backup and recover. After the initial configuration I only would use recovery mode if the phone would not boot into the ROM. So far this has not happened thanks to this forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones