• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon 4.4.2 update demolishing my battery.

Nah, those screenshots were from like March 2013 when I got my extended battery. The wakelock was from me listening to podcasts with Doggcatcher all day, and I would still have 60 some percent left.

Shortly after that, my signal at work got worse and Verizon released an update to 4.2.2 I think, and I never saw battery life that good again. I switched over to Carbon 1.8 and it was good enough. But 4.4 kills my battery. I'm testing some 4.3 roms and they seem a little better so far.

Ah OK. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Well i tried all the tips and tricks and i uninstalled most of my apps. All thats left is the factory reset but idk im honestly not hopeful. Ive read " you should do a factory reset" a bunch of times but cant recall reading "factory reset fixed mine." So im not really hopeful.

I mean what is this? Some ploy to get me to buy a new phone? CAuse were finally reaching a point where i dont really need any new upgrades in 2 years so they just suicide my phone? This shit should be criminal.

Idk who to blame? Google? Samsung?

Is it fixied on s5? Although im kinda pissed because this ws the first phone that i did not want to upgrade right when i could........... which was 1 month after they destroyed my phone. But didnt want to. This phone does everything i need well. And as a gotta have it first person im totally content that this thing used to perform all the tasks i needed.

Now i feel like im being raped into buying a new phone and its just not right. Making consider the blasphemy of apple just to spite whoever needs to be spited for this blunder/conspiracy.

Reactions: dennygreen
Upvote 0
try to use wakelock detector to see what drains & autostarts to kill processes upon boot
use energy saving options built in...
and as always... disable all unneeded radios & sensors...
lower brightness
if ur fone is 4g set it to 3g! this WORKS, don't cry that 4g is effective...
LOL my sge2 is f**kin' long-lasting after 4.4.2... 4.2.2 stayed less than 24h... 4.4.2 could go 24h+ even with player, calling, random web surf...

bro, no one could MUST you to buy a new device, besides you. so, try to calm down and troubleshoot. good luck ;)

Upvote 0
It is s not any conspiracy but bad cus service. You have to get to the proper one to handle correct your problem. If is in warranty go to a corporate store and they fill out the forms fof repairs and in two you will get fixed. Do not deal with Samsung :thdy are a bunch om unprofessionals therd. Good luck

Upvote 0
Well, my solution was to replace my virgin mobile gs3 with an HTC desire 816, and I'm back to punishing my phone all day and still having juice to spare. This thing even only has a 2600mah battery compared to the 3000 on my Samsung extended battery I was using with my verizon and virgin gs3s. the screen is also much bigger and I'm not even running the screen power saving option that I did on the gs3.

I'm pretty sure something definitely got messed up battery-wise with the newer versions of Android on the gs3.

Upvote 0
How do you read a wakelock detector report? What exactly should you be looking for?

1. install app
2. turn it on (for a night or big amount of time when you NOT using fone)
3. after some hours... (8-10 hours minimum) open WL detector, there won't be any report.. just you will see apps sorted out by waking up ur fone... and you will understand what's number one process that eats up ur battery.. it could be some IM app, or kindda "smart alarm clock" that is "monitoring your sleeping" and other software that triggers cpu awakening and draining ur bat

Upvote 0
Together, the Android System and OS are using over 40% of my battery. It's going down at a rate of roughly 2% every 10 minutes. This is horrible, the Android aspects together were under 15% before the update. I have tried factory reset, and reset all settings both to no avail. I'm about to cave and buy a mophie case if this can't be solved. Anybody have any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Together, the Android System and OS are using over 40% of my battery. It's going down at a rate of roughly 2% every 10 minutes. This is horrible, the Android aspects together were under 15% before the update. I have tried factory reset, and reset all settings both to no avail. I'm about to cave and buy a mophie case if this can't be solved. Anybody have any suggestions?

When you factory reset did you install apps slowly over a few days to see which ones are eating battery? Android system draining battery means an app is waking the kernel alot. Get greenify.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones