• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] 4.4 to 4.3 to 4.2 to 4.1?

MasterCylinder

Apr 4, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Hey All!

I'm confused and all of the days and days of searching are not helping me. On my Verizon SGS3, is it possible to flash from a 4.3 Custom ROM to a 4.1.2 Custom ROM?

I'm on Beans 4.1.2 now but am looking at flashing something different. I know the file system structure will change and there is the Knox counter (which I don't really care about) but will I lose my unlocked bootloader? Can I them then go back?

What are the limitations of flashing between these different versions of Jelly Bean and Kit Kat?

There should be a sticky on this!

Hi! tensazan. Thanks for the reply. I never took any updates after the MF1 update on 4.1.2 of stock.

It sounds like you're saying that my bootloader, which is VRALEC still I believe, would take on the Knox counter but will not be locked?

(I'm sorry this was moved here since I really don't see this as a Verizon issue, which is one of the reasons I didn't post it here to begin with. By doing so, I miss out on the potential visibility and feed back from hundreds of users who would not visit this particular sub forum. (Though I guess if it stays in the list on the Android Lounge for awhile maybe people might still answer.))

This is just an issue about moving around between the different Android versions of the last year using Custom ROMs.

Upvote 0
From what I understand, if you never took the official 4.3 with Knox, you can flash whatever you want (custom rom-wise)..it won't touch your bootloader.
The custom roms don't touch the bootloader.
The file structure however, for your sd card/ext card etc will change but I am unclear on how that works.

What Mike said.

Since you're on 4.1.2 still, you can flash anything.

Reactions: MasterCylinder
Upvote 0
What Mike said.

Since you're on 4.1.2 still, you can flash anything.

Hey Thanks.

I'm not really concerned about going up but rather going back down! If I flash a 4.3 or 4.4, can I go back down to 4.1.2? I know with 4.2.2 to 4.1.2 you have to revert the file structure, but that's easy.

I'm worried about losing my unlocked bootloader, or creating the slots of 4.4 and not being able to go back. And you said I would end up with Knox. It also makes sense what Mike said that flashing a custom ROM doesn't touch the bootloader.

I don't know which is true yet.

Upvote 0
Hey Thanks.

I'm not really concerned about going up but rather going back down! If I flash a 4.3 or 4.4, can I go back down to 4.1.2? I know with 4.2.2 to 4.1.2 you have to revert the file structure, but that's easy.

I'm worried about losing my unlocked bootloader, or creating the slots of 4.4 and not being able to go back. And you said I would end up with Knox. It also makes sense what Mike said that flashing a custom ROM doesn't touch the bootloader.

I don't know which is true yet.

Sorry, I meant to say it wouldn't put knox in your bootloader. That's my bad.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I meant to say it wouldn't put knox in your bootloader. That's my bad.

Oh! Okay, thanks! I'm beginning to think it'll be alright. The issues I've read about are from OTA updates, the S4 and Safestrap techniques that I realize I won't have to worry about. When you search this topic that's about all that comes up.

I guess I'll take the plunge!

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Oh! Okay, thanks! I'm beginning to think it'll be alright. The issues I've read about are from OTA updates, the S4 and Safestrap techniques that I realize I won't have to worry about. When you search this topic that's about all that comes up.

I guess I'll take the plunge!

Also, as far as I know, you should be able to flash from even 4.4 to 4.1.2 without having to worry about the file system; though I may be mistaken about that.

Reactions: MasterCylinder
Upvote 0
Also, as far as I know, you should be able to flash from even 4.4 to 4.1.2 without having to worry about the file system; though I may be mistaken about that.
Well, the 4.4 file system will create the /0 symlink for the internal "sdcard" that was instituted for multi-user in 4.2, n'est pas? I haven't yet found a way to prevent this from happening, though I'm still looking. (There was a script that I found but it didn't work.) Then you'll have to unravel that when you go back to 4.1.2

I just tried to flash a 4.3 Stock Rooted Debloated TW and it created the /0 layer but didn't migrate my data. Easy enough to fix. I think I'm on the wrong version of TWRP. Gotta fix that right now!

Edit: In fact, what it did (like on the Carbon ROM 1.8) was create the new symlink and create new empty folders, leaving all of my previous data invisible at the /data/media location. So I could've just moved it to /data/media/0, but I wanted to update my TWRP and try again to see if it would migrate my data like it's supposed to. So this time, I was able to just restore my "Beans" 4.1.2 Nandroid without doing anything to the file system (except to delete the /0 folder and all of it's empty subfolders.)

Upvote 0
Well, the 4.4 file system will create the /0 symlink for the internal "sdcard" that was instituted for multi-user in 4.2.2, n'est pas? I haven't yet found a way to prevent this from happening, though I'm still looking. (There was a script that I found but it didn't work.) Then you'll have to unravel that when you go back to 4.1.2

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure what changes in the file system would stick if you flashed a 4.1.2 rom after being on 4.3+. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
I flashed [ROM][TW 4.3]Slapnuts v1.4 13JAN2014 - xda-developers which is based on [ROM][TW 4.3]VRUCML1_Stock_Root_Deodex_Aroma(01.14.14) - xda-developers. (Slapnuts is no longer supported, btw.) There's also a complete stock TW 4.3 over there by the CleanROM dev.

This did not migrate my data to the /0 folder but again just created a bunch of empty folders and left all of my data at /data/media and I had to move it myself. No big deal, but people have been very confused by this when none of their applications work right and their Recovery doesn't see it either.

Enjoying a stock look for the moment but Xposed is supposed to work and I'm about to activate my Nova Launcher stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones