• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Generic question about upgrading custom ROM versions

chupon

Lurker
Oct 10, 2012
When upgrading to a new version of the same custom ROM, what do people do to quickly get their phone back to the way it was before as far as settings and apps and layout goes.

Is there anything I can do to get my settings back to the way they were or is it a pretty manual process each time?

I've only been rooted for awhile and installed AOKP ICS. I have only done one upgrade when I went from ICS to JB, but I am just thinking ahead when I upgrade to the next release how best I can cut down the time to set up my phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

a lot of people use titanium back up on the app market, it's like $6.50. however, most devs advise against it because it causes so many probs (when you restore the apps, you're also restoring the old rom programing).

i thought about it, but i'm not dropping $6.50 on an app that may or may not cause probs when i flash a new rom.

so, to answer your question: no. there is no 100% foolproof way to restore other an manually.

Upvote 0
I use TiBu to restore apps and their data. I also use it to restore some system data like SMS/MMS/Call Log, Alarms, and stock Launcher settings. While restoring data from TiBu can potentially cause problems, for me, they are few and far between. If a ROM is buggy after restoring app and system data, I just reflash and don't restore any system data.

Moral of the story, TiBu saves way more time than the time spent fixing the rare problems caused by it. The more often you flash, the more true this is.

To fully answer your question though, some settings can't be restored, even with TiBu (ringtones, developer options, and keyboard settings sometimes).

Upvote 0
Moral of the story, TiBu saves way more time than the time spent fixing the rare problems caused by it. The more often you flash, the more true this is.

Completely agree. I wouldn't even consider rooting if there wasn't an app like TiBu. Restoring apps without it is way too time consuming. I've been a loyal user since it was released and have only experienced minor issues. It has never failed to restore apps + data in more than three years on six different devices!

Upvote 0
I am going to break the TiBu 'mold'. I have used MyBackupPro (MBP) instead of TiBu with flawless results. And now if you are rooted you can use MyBackupRoot (MBR) to do basically the same bug free backups/restores in a 'batch' mode as you can with the paid version of TiBu (the free version of TiBu doesn't do 'batch' modes). Damn, there wasn't a MyBackupRoot (MBR) at the time I purchased MBP.

The short version as others have posted is that settings (ringers, etc.) and layout should be done manually, but the other stuff can be done with MBR.

However, there is a difference between how to use the two to accomplish the same things that the huge user base of TiBu have posted. I will post my instructions later; I'm tired now. Pits, you might want to look at this too when I get the time. . . . . . .

Upvote 0
When upgrading to a new version of the same custom ROM, what do people do to quickly get their phone back to the way it was before as far as settings and apps and layout goes.

I just dirty flash.

But running a launcher with settings and desktop backup functionality is nice. So I always have Apex backed up, plus a full TiBu, plus a nandroid. I restore in that order: Dirty flash. If there's a problem, restore my Apex settings. Then select pieces from TiBu if needed. If I'm still having problems, clean flash and then just restore the data that I especially need.

Upvote 0

Thank you.

I usually just let the apps download from the Play Sore, then restore Data with TiBu. As far as layout goes, I use Nova Launcher. You can save settings and just restore them later. Works well for me. As far as custom Nav keys, status bar settings...etc you pretty much have to do those every time. Bummer, but that's the price you pay for custom ROMs.

Reactions: NSutherl
Upvote 0
I usually just let the apps download from the Play Sore, then restore Data with TiBu. As far as layout goes, I use Nova Launcher. You can save settings and just restore them later. Works well for me. As far as custom Nav keys, status bar settings...etc you pretty much have to do those every time. Bummer, but that's the price you pay for custom ROMs.

nova's restore works great. one of the reasons i don't use apex is the restore would never work. i own the pro versions of both.

Upvote 0
Well, the OP hasn't been back to this thread, but as I said I was going to elaborate on how I use MyBackupPro. MyBackupRoot does the same things and is free.

In MyBackup, when you select backup, you have two choices, apps and data. First select apps (it will also have the option for photos and other media, no real need). Next you can select local (sdcard) or online (nice feature), but I use sdcard for now. Then you can select .apk's and data, I just do all the .apk's. Give it a name or just use the default which dates your backup. Then go back to backup and select data. I backup call logs, sms, mms, bookmarks, and dictionary. I suppose you could try system settings, but then you get into the same grey area as with TiBu.

After a clean flash of a new ROM, if the play store doesn't restore your apps, just go to the play store and install myBackup. Then open it, and go to restore. Select apps, local (sdcard), find the set you want to restore, and click the little button for all and let 'er rip. Or if you want to restore a little at a time, you can. Once it's done, MyBackup will prompt you to rebbot, do so. Then do the same for your data.

I've only had problems maybe 1-2% of the time using MyBackup. And that was when I select .apk's and data on the restore and/or system data.

good luck

Upvote 0
Then go back to backup and select data. I backup call logs, sms, mms, bookmarks, and dictionary. I suppose you could try system settings, but then you get into the same grey area as with TiBu.

FYI, call logs, sms, mms, bookmarks and user dictionary are system data because they are associated with system apps (as opposed to user apps). This isn't necessarily a problem though, as you've shown from your success rate. People generally say don't restore any system data, but they don't realize that it is safe to restore some system data (like the ones you listed above).

Reactions: teddyearp
Upvote 0
NSutherl, thank you for your post. It further elaborates on the differences between using TiBu and MyBackup. From what I read in your post above, TiBu treats these things (call logs, sms, mms, bookmarks, and user dictionary) as system data. MyBackup does not. MyBackup; in its 'data' selection also has "System Settings" which would be akin to backing up and attempting to restore your homescreen, ringtone assignments, etc.

And that is, IMHO, the beauty of using MyBackup as opposed to TiBu. When you backup your apps with MyBackup, it will backup all your user apps; easily and with less bugs, especially if you do not chose the ".apks and data" option (in theory, this will restore only the data associated with that app, but it doesn't work well, hence why I don't recommend). But you can restore the 'data' items as I listed above: your call logs, sms, mms, bookmarks, and dictionary are retored to their proper places without fail as well.

Suffice it to say that TiBu and MyBackup handles the different elements of your system while backing up and restoring very, very differently. Most will chose TiBu, since there has been so much noise about it. Why has there been so much more noise about TiBu? IMHO, because of all the failures and quirks. Nobody talks about MyBackup because it just works.

As y'all know, if it works nobody really talks about it, but if it doesn't . . . . . . there will be lots of posts . . . . .

Just my peso's worth. . . . . .

Upvote 0
Why has there been so much more noise about TiBu? IMHO, because of all the failures and quirks. Nobody talks about MyBackup because it just works.

Also, TiBu has 140,000 downloads and MyBackup has 8,000 so there's bound to be more threads :D

I get what you're saying though about how you never see threads about MyBackup problems but there are always TiBu problem threads.

I'd like to try it out, but it's taken me so long just to figure out TiBu I don't know if I want to switch, especially because I haven't had very many problems with it.

Upvote 0
Also, TiBu has 140,000 downloads and MyBackup has 8,000 so there's bound to be more threads :D

And then there's that. I tried TiBu way back when, but had other folks who have known alot more than I about cell phones recommend MyBackup instead so I just have stuck with it. Kind of the same thing with me using SUFBS instead of Root Explorer. So i totally understand not wanting to change. Just thought I'd post my method just for kicks.

[kidding]And then when you have TiBu paying kickbacks to people like The_Chief and others to promote how to use TiBu by making big huge detailed writups, of course it's going to have more downloads![/kidding]

Upvote 0
I get what you're saying though about how you never see threads about MyBackup problems but there are always TiBu problem threads.

On the more of titanium backup problem threads. In my experience, people having problems with titanium backup, is mostly user error. Just my experience, as I've never had a problem with titanium backup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones