• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] How impactful is the lack of an SD Card to flashing/rooting?

Trel

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2009
As someone who likes to root and flash roms, how impactful is the lack of an SD Card? Will I have to back up all my pictures and music every time I wish to wipe my phone prior to doing this, or is that storage separate? How is this handled on the phone itself?

When I plug the phone into my computer, how does it show up, as removable storage?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
No, wouldn't be a problem, I had two tabs open, I thought I posted it there to begin with.

With the MTP thing. Will it only show media files, or will it show ALL files, regardless of file type, and how will the drive show up on XP and on Win 7?

EDIT: it's LTE.

Upvote 0
There is still some questions regarding how the SD card set up. I don't believe it is partitioned in /sdcard but rather stored in /data/media then symlinked to /sdcard (Thank you SA!)

I suggest backing up your pics/music/sd data often rooted or not. If you ever need to do a factory reset via the OS it will wipe your SD card. However factory resets in CWM recovery do not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones