• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] [HOWTO] Enable Hidden Menus for Verizon Galaxy S4

vacaloca

Apr 15, 2010
NH
I posted this over on XDA, but figured I'd put it here as well:

Since VZW and Samsung Level 2 support didn't know the answer, here is how to enable the hidden menus on the dialer screen for the Verizon GS4. Previously, there was a 'master' code that enabled the hidden menus. Now it is a filesystem based check. Boo!
Due to editing /system/build.prop and /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu you MUST be rooted.

1) Add the following line* to /system/build.prop
Code:
sys.hiddenmenu.enable=1
2) Change the contents of /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu from OFF to ON
3) Reboot.
4) Try it out! Go to the phone dialer and enter *#06# (show MEID) as a test.

For more codes that worked on the S3 that (should) also work on the S4, see below:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...unlocking-jelly-bean-service-modes-found.html

Having the hidden menus enabled is particularly useful for those who want to disable WiFi Power Saving mode -- I was having issues with an access point at work, but sadly disabling it didn't fix the problem. Otherwise, the hidden menus are useful to test your sensors/display/etc or just looking around in general. Enjoy!

For those that are NOT rooted, there is an alternative to get to SOME of these menus, but it is not a free app (currently $1.99). It's called "Samsung Sevice Mode." Note that I am not affiliated with the developer, I just bought it to test if the menus were present before I dug deeper into finding out how to fully enable the hidden menus on my Verizon Galaxy S4. When I have time in the next day or so, I'll try to figure out how the app calls the menus, and update the post if I find a free solution for those that are not rooted.

---

* Note: I added the "sys.hiddenmenu.enable=1" line right after the "persist.cne.feature=0" one, but I don't think it matters where you add it. Just be careful editing this file. I managed to get my phone boot-looping, probably because I used notepad to edit the file and it added Windows CR/LFs to it, and had to use the NoWipe Factory Image posted here to restore my phone. The second time around I used Root Explorer's built in text editor and it worked fine.

In case anyone is curious how I figured this out, click here.

Reactions: TALONTRAX
Question, how do I get into the efs/carrier/Hidden menu to turn it on? Is it in the build prob or another area? I tried looking w ES FILE EX and Root Expl. But no luck. I'm also trying to unlock a U.S. Verizon s3 and s4 to flash to Verizon prepay or Straight Talk , any direction to a working method that is free would also b VERY appreciated. Been reading allot the past few days and can't seem to find a solid method. Thanks in advance.

Current Rom: Hyperdrive v8.1

Upvote 0
Question, how do I get into the efs/carrier/Hidden menu to turn it on? Is it in the build prob or another area? I tried looking w ES FILE EX and Root Expl. But no luck. I'm also trying to unlock a U.S. Verizon s3 and s4 to flash to Verizon prepay or Straight Talk , any direction to a working method that is free would also b VERY appreciated. Been reading allot the past few days and can't seem to find a solid method. Thanks in advance.

Current Rom: Hyperdrive v8.1
It is in the folder /efs/carrier/hidden (need to be rooted to access it)open it in root explorer as a text file with text editor & change "off" to "on".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones