• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] I'm going to make the hardest part of rooting easy for newbs.. .right here. Yup. I am.

Steven58

Former Heavyweight Champion of AF-Early Bird Club
Feb 19, 2010
USA
The most difficult part of rooting my phone, for me, turned out to be getting the samsung drivers to recognized my Gnex WHILE IT WAS IN BOOTLOADER MODE!!!!!

It recognized my phone fine while the phone was up and running in for transferring files and music but it didn't while in that bootloader mode.

So... what to do. what. to. do?

1) Make sure you have the most current samsung drivers installed on your PC.
2) Reboot your PC.
3) Plug your phone in via usb while it's in bootloader mode.
4) After you've plugged it in go into your PC's device manager (right click on "computer" and hit properties, etc.
5) There you'll see a driver entry with an "!" (exclamation point) right next to Android Device 1.0.
6) Right click on that. Go to the driver tab and click on update driver.
7) Click the second box that says: Browse for driver software on your computer.
8) CLICK THE SECOND TAB which is: Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
9) Select the samsung driver dated 11/25/2011
10) After you select it, it will give you a warning box, just click through it.

Now your phone will be recognized in bootloader mode and you can begin to modify it!! Enjoy!!!

The most difficult part of rooting my phone, for me, turned out to be getting the samsung drivers to recognized my Gnex WHILE IT WAS IN BOOTLOADER MODE!!!!!

It recognized my phone fine while the phone was up and running in for transferring files and music but it didn't while in that bootloader mode.

2) Reboot your PC.
4) After you've plugged it in go into your PC's device manager (right click on "computer" and hit properties, etc.
5) There you'll see a driver entry with an "!" (exclamation point) right next to Android Device 1.0.
8) CLICK THE SECOND TAB which is: Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Now your phone will be recognized in bootloader mode and you can begin to modify it!! Enjoy!!!

i don't see the Sammy driver.:( I installed it like 10 times!!

I do see Samsung Android phone though.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got it!!!!! :)

Upvote 0

2) Reboot your PC.

This is an awesome guide EXCEPT (being the ultra newb that I am) you lost me at etc. (#4 hit properties, etc.). Yes, I'm an idiot. Can you explain what I hit after I right click in computer and hit properties? I don't see anything with an exclamation point. Thanks!

Upvote 0
This is an awesome guide EXCEPT (being the ultra newb that I am) you lost me at etc. (#4 hit properties, etc.). Yes, I'm an idiot. Can you explain what I hit after I right click in computer and hit properties? I don't see anything with an exclamation point. Thanks!

Make sure your Galaxy Nexus is plugged into the computer and in the bootloader. The device manager only shows devices that are currently plugged into the computer. This gets a little funky with "multi-function" devices, such as a Galaxy Nexus in bootloader versus fully booted into Android.

I should mention, I spend a lot of time at work playing with and making my own USB devices for various projects, so I've spent lots of time with these types of issues...

Upvote 0
Make sure your Galaxy Nexus is plugged into the computer and in the bootloader. The device manager only shows devices that are currently plugged into the computer. This gets a little funky with "multi-function" devices, such as a Galaxy Nexus in bootloader versus fully booted into Android.

I should mention, I spend a lot of time at work playing with and making my own USB devices for various projects, so I've spent lots of time with these types of issues...

Thanks for the input, but still can't get my phone to be recognized. Do you know if I can push the twrp recovery via terminal emulator?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input, but still can't get my phone to be recognized. Do you know if I can push the twrp recovery via terminal emulator?

I don't believe you can make any modifications to your recovery via terminal. The phone needs to be in fastboot mode. It seems you are new to this. We all start out somewhere but before doing things that can potentially harm your phone you should read VERY carefully through the instructions on how to gain root.

Boot your phone into the bootloader. Plug your phone into your PC and wait a few seconds in which it will attempt to install drivers and then tell you there was a problem. Right click My Computer, click Properties, then click Device Manager.

Look for a section with an exclamation point. If you can't find it just click all of them so they expand. Your phone should be listed under one of the sections and have a ! displayed next to it. Then follow the rest of the steps in this article. I am unsure which section your phone will be in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones