• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VERIZON issues with v2.3

jprjay

Apr 7, 2012
I'm here in NJ and suddenly (earlier this week) both my (gingerbread 2.3.6) Samsung and kindle fire will no longer authenticate outgoing emails. I've been going back and forth with tech support and they "don't know of anything that changed". My wife's Jelly Bean still works fine. [There is no upgrade available for my devices]

I can see an error when I try to reset connection properties "authentication failed exception : Unable to negotiate MD5CRAM

Anyone else seeing this problem?

A couple of other things to try is if on wifi, reboot your router or take it to a free hotspot to test a different network. Check on mobile data as well. If those accounts are also accessible from a PC try sending that way to make sure it's the device and not the account.

You may have to clear those settings and re-enter them. The simplest way is to delete the account and recreate it. That, however might not be enough. You may have to go almost all the way to a factory reset, which would be to delete the account. clear data and cache on the mail app, boot the phone into recovery and clear those caches as well and then recreate the account(s). If that doesn't work, the next step would be a factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones