• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon location agent

After the ota I decided to see if my battery usage changed and I saw this
a6f82184-e7bf-d22e.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? I won't want to this crap taking up 10% of my battery!

I ran the update yesterday and do see the Verizon Location Agent under the Running services, but not under the Battery Usage. I still show the same apps under Battery Usage that were there prior to the update.

Now I'm wondering if it was always in the Running services and for some reason is now appearing in your Battery Usage.

Upvote 0
I loaded the OTA update last night off WiFi and was given a "your location data may not be accurate, do you want to run..." pop up. I said "no" and moved on. Checking on my battery use screen now it is not there. Sorry but I don't know how to get back to the popup...

OTOH, I'm now getting upload failure warnings for not enough space. Looks like it is tied to vcast but I have not figured it out yet.

FWIW
DLM

Edited to add: whoops, just did a power down cycle and when it came back on it showed up in running services. Still not checked under location and not in batter use. Oh well...

Upvote 0
Found this over at xda:

It's supposed to search for the best connection/tower/whatever on the network, is what I read on another forum - and drain your battery in the process. To disable it on the Rezound (if you're not rooted) go to the Market and download the update. Then find it in your app drawer, and when you tap on it, it will tell you it's not compatible with your device. You can close it at that point, and it stops running. Otherwise, you'll be lucky to get 8hrs standby time on your battery.

Upvote 0
After all the crap, I did some checking. On my Rezound, it does not matter if I update the app, uninstall the update, force close it, uncheck verizons location services (which I already have. I am only running standalone GPS services and google location services).

None of this $h!t matters. It still runs. What concerned me originally was after the update, like a few others I saw this under my battery usage. When I clicked on it, it showed as running and not letting the phone sleep. I checked my awake time versus uptime and they were pretty close. I don't remember this running service before (but who the hell knows, I might have missed it).

I did the update, removed the update, rebooted the phone. I checked my awake time and it's back to sleeping again even though that crap is still running. I don't see it listed in battery consumption setting. I have no idea why it showed up after the update.

Verizon, sneaky little bastards...

Upvote 0
If you say so, although it is apparently isn't using up my battery. I do have Verizon location services turned off, if that matters.

I was being sarcastic. Not aimed at you. But if you did the update the verizon location agent will be running no matter what you do, if you look in the running applications in settings. I have been testing last 3 days and screen off for six hrs. it uses between 25 and 40% of the battery. 4 tests. Before the update screen off 6 hrs. I would use 3 to 5% battery. In the show your battery screen thread I even have a picture from last month showing 96 or 98% left after 6 hrs.

One of the things I loved the most from rezound is how little battery it uses when the screen is off.
PS. I always keep verizon location services turned off.

Upvote 0
I had my Verizon Location Agent turned off, dialed a contact in my address book (local number) and I get a Verizon message that I'm not signed up for international calling nor long distance calling. Verizon location agent starts back up and then I can dial the local number again....I swear I hate this damn corporate sponsored malware....

Upvote 0
I installed the OTA. Not rooted. I manually stopped VLA and turned off "Enable always-on mobile data".

The screenshots indicate that VLA is still running but it is not listed as a resource that is using the battery. for over 15 hours. Even after rebooting.

Still checking from time to time but so far so good (1+ days).

Attachments

• VLA.JPG
    VLA.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 119
  • VLA1.JPG
    VLA1.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
My mobile data is always on (other than from late/midnight), and that secret agent didn't show up on the Battery Use list today, but he's still hiding in the Manage Apps page. The agent didn't show up on this Battery Use list since sometime yesterday. I actually rebooted my phone mid-day yesterday to get rid of a music/streaming app; not sure if it's related and maybe that also got rid of the agent.... or maybe we'll have to do something to trigger this VLA out of hiding...(?) bye.

Upvote 0
It seems like turning off VZW Location Services under the Location settings screen at least stops this piece of crap from using battery resources. I noticed it for the first time today, spent all afternoon trying to figure out how to remove it, and finally stumbled upon just turning off the VZW Location Services.... Hopefully it was as simple as that.
Be nice to know if freezing it in Titanium on a rooted device does the trick. I hadn't planned on rooting this phone since it's so nearly perfect as is.....up until now that is...

Reactions: andr01d
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones