• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] my phone won't boot in recovery after rooting

bbalcrazy92

Lurker
Sep 19, 2012
hey guys!
i'm a newbie at this stuff but i had a huge interest in rooting my phone. i successfully rooted my galaxy nexus using this guide
How To Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515–Quick Guide

i was looking up guides for changing roms and i came across one that stated to have cwm installed in the phone. i thought i had that installed already, when i check the data in my phone on my computer i see i have some cwm file in the root. however when i try to boot into recovery mode just to make sure, i just get an android lying down with a red yield sign over his stomach.

any ideas guys?
thanks! :)

I used to get the Android lying down with a red exclamation triangle over his open panel when I would use the stock recovery (I still do if I flash back to it).

If you're already rooted, an easy way to flash a custom recovery is with this app from Scary Alien (and he's a forum member so you could probably ask him if you have any questions about his app). I used it to flash CWM Touch recovery (whatever the highest number was). Make sure you also use the option to make the recovery stick.

You can also boot into recovery from the app so you don't have to worry about making sure you were pressing the power and volume up/down buttons at the same time.

Upvote 0
I used to get the Android lying down with a red exclamation triangle over his open panel when I would use the stock recovery (I still do if I flash back to it).

If you're already rooted, an easy way to flash a custom recovery is with this app from Scary Alien (and he's a forum member so you could probably ask him if you have any questions about his app). I used it to flash CWM Touch recovery (whatever the highest number was). Make sure you also use the option to make the recovery stick.

You can also boot into recovery from the app so you don't have to worry about making sure you were pressing the power and volume up/down buttons at the same time.

My first thought was the same, as in not getting the buttons right.
On your phone I believe that its home and vol up.
Try turning off your phone, holding those two buttons and tap power.. make sure to hold them as it powers up.
Using an app to reboot straight into recovery is also a good idea.
I used to have ROM manager and it does that as well.
Thanks for the link to that toolkit, looks great and has a good array of features for your phone bbal. Think I am going to go play with it myself. :D

Upvote 0
I think the easiest method to get a recovery to stick is to:

1. Download the GooManager app from the Play Store
  2. Open the app
  3. Open the menu in the top right corner
  4. Install OpenRecoveryScript
  5. Select Yes in the prompts
  6. Let it work its magic!
Eventually, you should get a prompty saying the recovery was installed correctly. Now this won't install CWM, but it will install TWRP (which I'm sure most people would recommend over CWM), but if you prefer ClockworkMod, then the WugFresh toolkit should help you out with that.. Happy Recovering!

Upvote 0
Well the OP hasn't been back since posting this; so my reply is to him/her and the readers. My brief perusal of the links provided in the OP tells me that a custom recovery is not even flashed. Not only that, but the method provided in the link in the OP is very non-typical.

I suggest using the instructions posted above and at this site in the sticky here:

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...ot-restore-more-vzw-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html

as not only are they the most used and reliable instructions, but they seem to be written with English as the primary language.

my peso's worth and good luck.

Upvote 0
thanks guys sorry for the late response!
I heard i can get CWM from rom manager would that way work? also when i actually get CWM to work will my phone be wiped? i have back ups from titanium just in case. i'm not really familiar with most of this stuff i am just eager to learn how to flash roms. i knew it wouldnt be a good idea to start that with a phone that can't boot into recovery so i'm trying to fix that first :)

Upvote 0
Welcome back. If you would kindly take a look at and thoroughly read the link I gave you in the post right above yours, all your questions should be answered. It is full of information in plain english.

Real quick, your phone does boot into recovery, just not a custom one, which is what CWM (ClockWork Mod) is. You can install it with Rom Manager. It will not automatically wipe your phone, you have to do that yourself.

good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones