• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] NEED serious help. cm10.1 bricked

Ive spent all day searching for answers and solutions and havent been able to get anything to work. I have rooted/unlocked verizon galaxy nexus. I had been running the stable version of CM10. I did a backup with rom manager and titanium backup. I then flashed 10.1 nightly 2/19/2013. it was not what i wanted to keep running so I went to restore my backup. It gave me the error md5 mismatch. I tried copying the backup files from sdcard0 to sdcard...no luck. Then i was going to try and connect through adb and redo md5 sum. I have used google nexus toolkit and drivers are all correct, but when i connected it to the computer and tried to run adb shell it says device not connected. however adb restart bootloader works and fastboot reboot works.

My phone now is stuck on the google splash screen. When i tried restoring from recovery i get md5 mismatch. so as a final ditch effort i did wipe data/factory reset from recovery... no luck still stuck on google spash screen. so if I cannot connect to computer and it wont boot what the hell do i do.

True desperation
thanks

when i connected it to the computer and tried to run adb shell it says device not connected. however adb restart bootloader works and fastboot reboot works.

I'm by no means an expert, but I also just recently failed to restore a backup and didn't having a working ROM on the phone as well.

Given that "adb restart bootloader" gets a response, I'm guessing your computer does in fact recognize the phone.

So, I'd go and download a new version of whatever ROM you want and the associated Gapps. Verify the MD5s on your computer, and place them in the folder with the adb file.

Then from the command window enter:
adb push [rom name].zip /sdcard/[rom name].zip
adb push [gapps name].zip /sdcard/[gapps name].zip

Reboot into recovery, and install as you would normally.

I did try pushing the file to the sd card without adding the name the second time. It looked like it went through, but when I went into recovery it wasn't there. When I tried again, but added the file name after /sdcard/, I was able to find it in the root of the sd card when I went into recovery.

Hope that works -- if not, someone more knowledgeable than myself might be able to help you out.

Don't know if this will make a difference, but CWM is my recovery.

Good luck -- let us know how it goes!

Upvote 0
Sounds like you have the switching from 4.2 to 4.1 infection... it might be terminal. ;( It was for me.

If you cannot get your rom of choice to push over to the phone and flash, assuming you have a nandroid on your computer, you can flash a factory image from google using the nexus toolkit, re-root, and then flash recovery and/or your backed up nandroid. That's what I ended up doing from a similar situation.

Can adb see your sdcard? can you do "adb push <local file location> /sdcard/"? But your recovery cannot see your sdcard when you go to select a zip to flash? If recovery cant see your sdcard to find a flashable zip, then you got some problems... doesn't mean its not there, I think though... maybe someone more advanced can offer more help, but I just ended up flashing the factory image from google.

If adb can "see" your sdcard, and you haven't already backed up your CM10 nandroid on your computer, then hopefully you remember its location on your phone, and you can "adb pull /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<nandroid location> C:/<location on laptop>". I think on CM10.1, which is 4.2-based, it might be somewhere like /data/shell/emulated/clockworkmod or /sdcard/0/clockworkmod/... as the locations have changed from 4.1 to 4.2.

Edit: also kinda makes sense that adb shell might have some problems but other adb commands wouldn't as adb shell kinda puts your on the phones local file system, and if there are problems with that file system, then putting a shell in it might be weird... AI might be completely wrong on that though...

Upvote 0
what a she tee night. I could't pull any files or see them in recovery so all in all It was terminal. the only way I got it to boot was to flash factory image and reroot. I lost all pics/vids on the phone. Before i flashed 10.1 I thought about saving all pics/vids but in the past even with full wipe I havent had any problems, I also used to have upload to dropbox but turned it off about a month ago. so lesson learned there. i will be able to reload all apps and data except for pics and vids. so since its a brand new phone might as well start playing with nightlys again hell what do i have to loose.
Thanks again for the help

Upvote 0
oh man... sorry, that sux... I feel your pain. At least you got the phone up and running.

Just think of it as initiation into the next level of the phone tinkering society. I only started romming a few weeks ago, and already did two factory resets, and uncountable number of nandroid backups/restores, and long waits transferring backups form titanium, rom manager, sms/calls, photos, and other misc files from phone to laptop... although I'm really happy to have a clean phone, where the only reason my sdcard has much of anything is because of 10GB of nandroids from various roms and backup points before and after system mods...

Upvote 0
what a she tee night. I could't pull any files or see them in recovery so all in all It was terminal. the only way I got it to boot was to flash factory image and reroot. I lost all pics/vids on the phone. Before i flashed 10.1 I thought about saving all pics/vids but in the past even with full wipe I havent had any problems, I also used to have upload to dropbox but turned it off about a month ago. so lesson learned there. i will be able to reload all apps and data except for pics and vids. so since its a brand new phone might as well start playing with nightlys again hell what do i have to loose.
Thanks again for the help

Sorry man,

I'm a BIG fan of using a pic upload service.
dropbox
google+
Facebook
all offer options to automatically upload your photos.(I use dropbox)

Upvote 0
Interesting. So is anybody who's having this nested /0/0/0 folders problem been able to even see them with a rooted file explorer or adb? I've been talking with another person who's having that issue and the only time the 0/0/0 stuff shows up is when in recovery trying to flash a new rom. They can't see the problem during a normal boot scenario and therefore can't delete them.

Is this why it's been unrecoverable for some? Inability to interface the problem in a workable environment?

Upvote 0
I didn't have nested /0 folders, since I only flashed a 4.2 rom once, and then went back to 4.1. But I was able to see the folders and files in /sdcard/0/ and then just move them back to /sdcard/, then delete the /0/ folder using ES file explorer. However, that was a couple flashes/backups/restores ago so I may be remembering incorrectly...

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones